No one uses innodb on a production web server. That is the engine you want to use if you try to make MySQL into an enterprise DB engine. Personally, I far prefer MSSQL for that task...

MyISAM engine has been the default engine in MySQL for ages. Heck I couldn't count how many web devs I've worked with that didn't even know about InnoDB.

Also, this change doesn't change the published MySQL stuff one inch. All this changes are the licensed and supported versions of the product that are floating around. I haven't met anyone that actually bought MySQL... all I know are people that do what I do...

apt-get install mysql-server
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

it's a matter of time before they won't offer the free one..just watch.. actually xenforo and some other forum software are leveraging inno right now so it's going to start having an impact. Most large forums using mysql use inno due to it's more efficient row locking instead of myisam's table locking. This is a big performance hit in larger installs without using inno. The sites that use inno then also use sphinx for searching. this is not a trivial thing.
    Last edited by hescominsoon; 11-05-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Oh I know it isn't trivial, but the release also said the community edition was keeping support for innodb. The community release is the "free" one we all use anyway. They can't just yank support for something this big, the community would hack it back in in rather short order.

This is just the entry level paid version.
    NexgenAppliances.com

I might not know much about MySQL but I know Oracle is not stupid.

Oracle is going try to play both sides of the field. They will try close off as many options as they can to force people into buying their database software.

But also they won't completely pull MySQL from the world both community and commercial editon.

The reason I say this is simple.

They have been leveraging OSS in some of there products. They have server products that include SQL Lite which is Open Source. They pathetic attempt at virtualization uses the Xen Hypervisor.

My point being, oracle won't put themselves in a position to be vulnerable to a lawsuit from some looking to attack them over Open Source software use in products they have developed.

Granted... Oracle probably used it as more of starting point rather than a full blown platform. Still what they will try to do is draw people over to Oracle 10i or whatever it is now. Because if people make the choice on there own they are more willing to become customers rather than pull their feet out from under them. Which might make people using the windows platform possibly defect to MSSQL.

Just my
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

But the elephant in the room on this is the simple fact that MySQL as a project is PROFITABLE! They make their money by selling "supported" versions of the product. All Oracle has said here, is that if you want innodb, you're not going to get it in the entry level sold product.

They are forcing people who were already spending money to spend more. This impacts the "community" in no way. I haven't met anyone that pays for MySQL, they all use the community version. That software is going nowhere, because Oracle doesn't control it. The project is simply too big.

It would be like Untangle trying to remove IPTables... it just doesn't work.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by Solignis View Post
    but I know Oracle is not stupid.

Oracle is going try to play both sides of the field. They will try close off as many options as they can to force people into buying their database software.

My point being, oracle won't put themselves in a position to be vulnerable to a lawsuit from some looking to attack them over Open Source software use in products they have developed.

Just my
    I have lots of experience with Oracle -- lots -- and Oracle will always do what's in their best interests. There will come a point in time that "free" will be dramatically redefined for non-personal use insofar as Oracle is concerned and that will happen much sooner versus much later.

"Free" in the Untangle world is also undergoing creative changes -- the hook is always in the capabilities or lack off provided. Recent example is Bandwidth control under QoS. Rudimentary QoS is Free, while granular QoS will Cost. Many more like that is now obvious with much more to follow IMO.