Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

As Sky-Knight and MRunkel have pointed out, the business owner wants it cheap and wants to go with a SOHO firewall. Most businesses are accepting credit cards as payment so a SOHO firewall is not an option. The PCI-DSS pretty much means the merchant needs a good UTM firewall like Untangle with intrusion prevention and LOGGING. There is now way the owner wants to go through an audit and try to defend using a SOHO firewall.

That depends, I accept credit cards and PCI-DSS means jack to me...

Why? I use an old phone line attached terminal. No security required, because I don't store CC details and the terminal isn't attached to the network. Why? because it doesn't trigger the PCI crap.

K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple, Stupid!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I should have mentioned that there are exceptions. However, it is important to find out how the merchant is handling CC payments.

Untanglit

I must echo the sentiments of mrunkel. I'm an IT manager at a small business and have the liberty (frustrations) of designing and maintaining the WAN, LAN, and servers. The open source community has numerous products that are absolutely fantastic....IF YOU CAN SUPPORT them. If you can't support it yourself then there is probably a commercial version available that includes support. My superiors quite often are more than glad to pay for the commercial version in order to shift the support to someone else....In house support still costs as I have plenty of things to work on instead of troubleshooting an open source package.

That being said we do run a handful of open source packages and I've deployed Untangle at my church.....I wish I could deploy it more places too!

Personally i think your getting into an over saturated market full of people already doing what you do.

People these days go to OEMs like Dell / HP cause it is cheaper and you can not beat their prices and as said above, that is what matters to %99 of people these days, price.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

To the original poster, I just hope you don't feel down from the comments and criticism. Just make sure to pay attention to the wisdom, a lot of different backgrounds and situations provided it

I have worked as my own business like Sky-Night Describes, and now I work in large Fortune 500 companies, and I have been around the block a little bit. These guys are saying the right things, and notice none of them said "don't do it". Just be cautious and understand what you are selling, and why you are doing it.

From my perspective, the reason I consult now rather than build and support myself, is because frankly nothing lasts forever, but when the little shop on the corner goes out of business, so does the history and support. I buy from Dell, because they should be around next year, really I have no reason to suspect Dell won't be around in 10 years.

Same goes for IBM and the other big guys, they sell hardware sure, but IBM sells support, that is why they are still around after all these years.

For home users, sure a custom PC might actually be ok, but for business, be careful. A failed home computer = a night of no solitaire and netflix with an irritated customer. A business that loses money will seek to get it back, or cut their losses and go elsewhere.

Just some things to think about, I went into business selling my knowledge about computers, and figuring out how they work as a system. I sell that packaged deal that makes sense, but you won't catch me building and supporting a computer that isn't for myself, I can't beat the margins from the big guys.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by redhale3 View Post
    As Sky-Knight and MRunkel have pointed out, the business owner wants it cheap and wants to go with a SOHO firewall. Most businesses are accepting credit cards as payment so a SOHO firewall is not an option. The PCI-DSS pretty much means the merchant needs a good UTM firewall like Untangle with intrusion prevention and LOGGING. There is now way the owner wants to go through an audit and try to defend using a SOHO firewall.
    I think I just found my first advertisement...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathiau View Post
    Personally i think your getting into an over saturated market full of people already doing what you do.

People these days go to OEMs like Dell / HP cause it is cheaper and you can not beat their prices and as said above, that is what matters to %99 of people these days, price.
    I don't think the market for what I am doing is over saturated. I plan to cater to the geeks and nerds of the computer market. Nobody else does that in a real way.

Quote Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
    I don't think the market for what I am doing is over saturated. I plan to cater to the geeks and nerds of the computer market. Nobody else does that in a real way.
    Becoming the Home Depot of nerddom will end in failure. I've already bankrupted one corporation with that idea. (Note, that is one of five) The other lessons won't be free.

You cannot sell to people who want it free because they can do it themselves. You must sell to those who cannot do it themselves.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
    ]I plan to cater to the geeks and nerds of the computer market. Nobody else does that in a real way.
    Good Luck with your venturing -- as you mature you hopefully will learn that experience has no substitute, Inexperience carries significant cost and risk.

There are many types of Geeks and Nerds and if you can exploit that market segment profitably and consistently THAT would be remarkable and I for one would extend my congratulations.

David Mozer
    Information Technology for Home and Business
    http://www.itexpertoncall.com/

Untanglit

You are all so pessimistic...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast