Untangler

Default Failure in configuration of AD causes DNS issues. Help Please.

So...

Being the AD noob that I am I configured a small office AD to run as "domain.com" with the authoritative DNS hosted off-site. This has now caused the office to lose the ability to access their website at "domain.com".

Adding a A record to the AD DNS server doesn't do much good as AD puts some parent A records that point exclusively to the AD server in there so that gets looked up first.

An NS lookup from machines inside of active directory does turn up both the internal AD server IP and the external webserver IP.

And yes the website is online and functioning. Outside of the AD it can be accessed.

Any help you could render in giving me some ideas on fixing this is most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Archness View Post
    Adding a A record to the AD DNS server doesn't do much good as AD puts some parent A records that point exclusively to the AD server in there so that gets looked up first.
    You don't need to keep those A records in there. You can remove them. (See disclaimer in signature). AD uses a bunch of other subzones to find the things it needs.

Then you just need to add an A record without a name in the domain.com zone.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I'm giving this a spin in a test setup right now. We shall see if it works.

Adding an A-Record for dub dub dub will work. Have seen this in lots of networks I took over back in the Server2K days when people still made that amateur mistake of not naming the AD in the ".local" convention...and ended up with conflicts of their public domain name. www and the MX records were common edits I had to make to fix it.

Untangler

I had the A record added but was unsure if it was safe to delete the server created one. as it turns out it was. everything appears to now be working. thanks for the help.