Untangler

Default US resists control of internet passing to UN agency

OK the title maybe a bit iffy to you over that side of the pond but that's how the 'Beeb's' reporting it this side.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19106420

I just thought it may give you lot some thing to read - we have to read it this side, perhaps it is correct and YOU are trying to control ALL the internet?

Instead of letting the United Nations attempt to run the darned thing, they don't seem to be having any luck in Syria but that's a different matter.......

Kevin.

So let me get this straight...

We built it... we maintain a good portion of it.. the entities in question are doing a decent job keeping it available to everyone... and you want to make a change in management?

I'm the first guy to jump on the government when regulation goes horribly awry, but I can't see where the management of Internet resources has been mishandled. So I don't see a purpose in the change. The UN in and of itself as far as I'm concerned is a failed organization. So you won't find me supporting it taking on more responsibility, I want to see it actually do it's intended job first.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

i dont think any country should own it or control it, period, every country has made it's contributions to the current internet as it is, so to say it belongs to any 1 country its ridiculous really.

i will say i do not want the U.S or U.N to control it at all, both would abuse the power, considering Obama wanted a nice red button to shut down internet in the U.S if an attack occurred and all the other crap they try to get passed "for the good of the people" scares the crap out of me if they tried.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

That's my view too, but I don't see anyone else to pass it to. The UN? Don't make me laugh... let's put the greatest expression of free speech ever created by man in the hands of a group populated largely by dictators and thugs... yeah... THERE'S a good idea.

Someone proposes a solution that will improve the situation, I'll hear it. But for now all I see in this specific issue is a pile of anti-American whining.
    NexgenAppliances.com

%100 with that, why i don't think any 1 country or entity should really have full control.

if country wants to block something, let them block it, but dont let 1 country specifically be able to block everything like the US can now do with .com/net/org and other .* they own.

what is scary is most of the DNS and such of the world is in north america, so they really could f*** up a large part of the internet if they got a big red button!
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

You should get some info straight. The US government doesn't own .com Network Solutions does, and I think they own .org as well.

TLDs are domain names just like anything else. There is a registration process that is loosely governed by an international entity, but the names themselves are owned by different entities.

And for the record, the US Navy has defense labs in California, Hawaii, and somewhere else on the East Coast. They already have the "red button" and have had the "red button" for years. Not sure how to back that up with any sort of fact at this point, just that I can tell you I have a colleague that was in the Navy for years working in those facilities. I REALLY miss working with him, because with his contacts I had all sorts of fun information at my fingertips about hacking trends and virus propagation patterns.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Verisign owns the .com/net and org i believe, not networksolutions?

I know the government doesn't own them, never said they did , but with laws like SOPA and those, they are trying to have control over them, my industry knows this all too well! (online gaming.. not the FPS type)

NS , godaddy are simply registrar's, Verisign has the real control to be able to shut down U.S owned domain endings and do what they like with DNS as they have shown already on numerous websites by once the government agencies present them with warrent's to do so...

They can not do that with say .eu or .ch or any other domain ending as they dont own those so they cant just shut them down, they can alter DNS records within the U.S but we all know that doesn't work so well.

.com is owned by Network Solutions, who was bought by Verisign in 2000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Solutions

As far as I know the agreements with the US government are mostly with NSI, LLC.

And I actually do want the government to get some control of the DNS structure. The FBI has been up until recently intentionally breaking certain domains to help control viruses and spam. Unfortunately something that Obama did stopped that practice, and within a week we saw several nasty new variants of SIREFEF and a few other things floating around.

I'm all for free speech, and with the Internet things are working fairly well all things considered. However, at this point it's so unregulated you can virtually yell fire in as many virtual theaters you want with no negative impact on yourself. Police agencies need better tools to deal with cybercrime as the criminal element takes further hold...

I don't have any good ideas on this any more than the next guy other than to say so far the stuff I've seen isn't a good solution.
    NexgenAppliances.com