Thread: File download

Default File download

Hi... I used UT server to browse and download AVG virus update. I'm having a hard time where to get the file. I have seen it saved somewhere in desktop but no idea how to fetch it.

Thanks!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post
    Hi... I used UT server to browse and download AVG virus update. I'm having a hard time where to get the file. I have seen it saved somewhere in desktop but no idea how to fetch it.

Thanks!
    What?

You downloaded avg to the desktop of untangle?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

correct, i use Untangle server to browse and download virus data file but no idea how to transfer it to my pen drive.

Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post

Thanks!
    There are so many ways I want to answer this question, but none appropriate nor helpful, sorry...I'll leave it to someone else.
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

Master Untangler

why on earth are you using the UNTANGLE box as a desktop browser and downloading anything??

use a desktop for a desktop and let untangle do its thing. you should NOT be using it as a desktop

Quote Originally Posted by pirateghost View Post
    why on earth are you using the UNTANGLE box as a desktop browser and downloading anything??

use a desktop for a desktop and let untangle do its thing. you should NOT be using it as a desktop
    What he said..

I've done what the OP is asking, it's really quite easy and if you need to disinfect a box and Untangle is the only machine around... can be handy.

However, manually mounting a pen drive is NOT something we can really discuss on these forums. That's a class, a hand holding session. Something that I can teach you in 10min if you were here physically with me, but the screen captures and video instruction required to do that over the Internet? Too much on volunteer time... sorry.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Ok, I'll be helpful here.

The method for mounting a USB stick on untangle is the same for Untangle as it is for almost any linux distro.

Insert the USB stick.

run
    Code:
    dmesg
    the last few lines of output should talk about inserting some USB device with information about the device name and partitions.. It will be something like /dev/hdc1.

run
    Code:
    mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt
    where the /dev/hdc1 is whatever dmesg spit out.

you should now be able to copy to /mnt (maybe, it depends on how the USB stick is formatted, if it's FAT or one of the FAT variants, you should be good to go..

But really, don't browse the Internet from your Untangle.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com