Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've had a discussion with my wife about this. My 2nd Grade daughter reads fairly well now, enough to surf the web some on her own. She's not at an age yet where I'm worried about her doing anything deliberate... but just likes to click on links almost at random. Right now I think the Lite package will be good enough, because it only has to protect against an accidental link.

I see demand for a compelling home package, but it's needs some work before this could be a reasonable home money-maker. 10 computers isn't enough... My home has 3 laptops, two desktops, two iPods, a Kindle, web-enabled blu-ray player, a Wii, and a iPad, and two Droid phones. That's 13 devices already, and while this may be a little different because I work with this stuff, I don't think it's all that far off from typical home use anymore.

We'll likely spend a little less than $200 on a low-end box in the next few months and get it set up with Untangle Lite. This should work for us because I am, for the most part, my own support. But at this price level, I wouldn't want to personally support a whole bunch of these boxes in the wild.

I know that creating a competitive home package is challenging, because a lot of the revenue would have to go straight to zvelo or commtouch, but if done right I think there is money to be made here for Untangle.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 16.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

The harder part to that is making a license loosers won't take advantage of in a business environment.
    Springs likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    The harder part to that is making a license loosers won't take advantage of in a business environment.
    What about a partner-only license for something like this, and having the rules say it's not allowed in a business environment? I think as the Internet grows and more and more devices have connectivity, and the price point of such devices continues to drop, the need for a home-use Untangle setup is going to be a great market. I've already had about 5 sets of parents express interest in something like this, but probably at $30/mo or less.

Rob, as you were saying earlier, Web Filter, Captive portal, Live support and Policy Manager make for an outstanding package for this application. That leaves a couple other apps that are mostly useless. (Directory connector, IPsec VPN, Spam Blocker, etc)

Maybe a home package is in order?

Untangler

I built a little atom box for under $400 and run lite at home mainly for captive portal. Web filtering never works, especially if your kids are pretty smart and the captive portal ("school night go to bed!") is far more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    What about a partner-only license for something like this, and having the rules say it's not allowed in a business environment? I think as the Internet grows and more and more devices have connectivity, and the price point of such devices continues to drop, the need for a home-use Untangle setup is going to be a great market. I've already had about 5 sets of parents express interest in something like this, but probably at $30/mo or less.

Rob, as you were saying earlier, Web Filter, Captive portal, Live support and Policy Manager make for an outstanding package for this application. That leaves a couple other apps that are mostly useless. (Directory connector, IPsec VPN, Spam Blocker, etc)

Maybe a home package is in order?
    Sadly, you're operating under the delusion that Untangle partners are honest enough to maintain that. History has proven quite otherwise. *I* won't sell an improper license knowingly on any product, but many people don't have that level of integrity. I've lost plenty of money over the years because I'm rather inflexible on that topic.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

I have untangle at home and would love to put it in every home system I work on.

Parents love the idea of being able to block content. Also getting a record of activities, would really make them happy.

Virus and Malware blocking... they pay for Trend, Norton, Mscafee, Nod, whatever and still stuff gets in.

Selling untangle as another level of defense does appeal.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Sadly, you're operating under the delusion that Untangle partners are honest enough to maintain that. History has proven quite otherwise. *I* won't sell an improper license knowingly on any product, but many people don't have that level of integrity. I've lost plenty of money over the years because I'm rather inflexible on that topic.
    Yeah. Honesty is sometimes expensive. That's really unfortunate that people would do that.

Untangler

So make a license that disables when X+1 MAC addresses show up...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    So make a license that disables when X+1 MAC addresses show up...?
    Sonicwall we aint...

One of your kid's friends comes over with 1 too many iPhones... and Untangle shuts off? Does that make sense to you?
    bhackbarth likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12