Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    Huh, are you sure?
    Yep. It’s an iconic phrase that started here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwOJlOI1nU
    f1assistance likes this.

Actually, in your haste to correct, you have completely missed the ironic meaning of my original quote. Read a few of the uses of the "Danger Will Rogers" from the search I provided and you witness an irony appear in its use. Like magic, one is not the same as the other.
    Clearly my attempt at humor is a big fat fail...I'll stick to my day job. D'oh!
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-05-2018 at 03:55 AM.
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    It's not Idiocracy in my opinion. Some people don't care in the least if something knows they are home... You know what? My alarm system already does... As do my desktop computers... As do my Tivo (or any cable box of any brand)... As does my cell phone...

Just because some people have a different valuation on the compromise between convenience and privacy, does not mean they are idiots... Or sheep.... Any more than it makes those that are concerned about it 'tin foil hat wearers'. Different opinions, different valuation, different importance.
    So much to unpack and most likely not the right forum...so I apologize in advance.

No, you do not get to decide a level of abuse for everyone. It's not about what "some people" are willing to subject themselves and others too, to make overreach okay...this data collection (across the board) is seriously out-of-hand and needs loud pushback and should be halted. They cannot return what's already been acquired. Your definition of "Privacy" has zero input and the fact you're willing to compromise your assumed values...meaningless!
    At the edge of the herd stand the sheepdog sentinels (UT) to alert of incoming harm or injury. If the herd decides to move or not is irrelevant. The threat was seen and a warning issued for those who will listen. Your caviler attitude about my objection in this matter speaks volumes...about the West's demise.
    Witnessing and ignoring abuse as long as you're not immediately hurt by it, is no longer acceptable. It's very late and the time is now to stand up and stop this snit! Danger Will Rogers, you shouldn't trust the State and the game(s) they play. Stand up, accuse the abuser, and watch who stands with you...before it's too late. [Drops the mic]

http://dilbert.com/strip/2018-01-05
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-05-2018 at 06:53 AM.
    -------

Master Untangler

Look, I'm not going to argue about this... But you are being very liberal in your definitions of words. My point is that it is not "abuse" if people are willingly and knowingly participating.

So at best it is abuse to YOU, and maybe to people that are unaware it is happening.

Should any collection like this be optional? Of course.
    Should any collection like this be fully disclosed to the end user? Of course.
    Is it "wrong" or "abuse" for companies to do this at all? Absolutely not.

You have every right to have your opinion, and to try to educate others. I applaud you for that, and I have no issue with you there. You, however, have no right whatsoever to make value or quality judgments on how I or others choose to use OUR data or interpret the value of OUR privacy. That is the part I take offense to - you don't get to decide for me, nor do you get to tell me my opinion is invalid.

Good day.
    f1assistance and Sam Graf like this.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    Actually, in your haste to correct, you have completely missed the ironic meaning of my original quote.
    Well, my attempt at humor failed, too. The phrase was born in the context of trust between a boy and a piece of sophisticated technology. Will often thought Robot twitchy or malfunctioning, but never to always be not trusted. Since it was just a silly TV show, it doesn't carry a lot of weight, but pointing that out might have been ironically funny in a lighthearted way in this thread. Or, not.

Oh well. Back to retirement.
    f1assistance likes this.

You: Alexa, do you spy on me?
    Alexa: What you don't know, won't hurt you...Right? So go back to sleep, and stop asking me stupid questions!

"Amazon turns over record amount of customer data to US law enforcement"
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/amazon-...w-enforcement/
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-07-2018 at 05:17 AM.
    -------

"UK police turn to Amazon Echo in the fight against crime"
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/uk-poli...against-crime/
    -------

The industry seriously needs a "tool" to identify devices within the protected physical domain, not witnessed within the "enterprise cloud footprint" for its communication(s) (e.g., IoT w/5G), i.e., which are using a clear unmanaged channel (5G) to signal unawares and without permission of the said enterprise...all without giving a third party an index of your digital assets. Whew! Huh. what gibberish is this?

"New tool helps enterprises root out shadow IT"
    https://betanews.com/2018/01/09/enterprise-shadow-it/
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-09-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    -------

A glimpse into losing control...

"By 2020, industry analysts predict 50 billion devices will be connected to mobile networks worldwide, and these aren’t just devices connected to a human hand. Embedded devices sending bits of information to other devices, servers, or the cloud will account for a large percentage of the devices."
    http://www.ni.com/pdf/company/en/Trend_Watch_5G.pdf
    -------

It's hard to inform people of security risks without sounding like 'tin foil hat wearers'. The collective herd (i.e., addicts) simply want to enjoy their pleasures and not labor at obtaining true happiness. A serious threat is upon us, the sheeple are at a precipice, only awaiting the exhilaration of the coming fall and its dopamine hit, absent the consequence of their decision. We've all been warned...DOOM a adequate descriptor.

"Daniel Miessler on My Writings about IoT Security"
    https://www.schneier.com/blog/archiv..._miessler.html
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-10-2018 at 04:05 AM.
    -------

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast