Default Revealed: The naughty tricks used by web ads to bypass blockers

FWIW, I thought I'd leave this here...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08...r_bypass_code/
    Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM

Master Untangler

Blum said other approaches haven't worked. Most people won't pay for content and they ignore polite requests from websites to disable ad blockers.
    While this is probably true, the "polite requests from websites" thing is an oversimplification.

When I visit Distrowatch.com I want to support the site, so I'm willing to view all ads there. But putting distrowatch.com in a pass list doesn't make that happen. Is that my fault?

The same thing with YouTube content creators I want to support. Adding youtube.com to a pass list gets me the startup ad but not the ads along the timeline. Is that my fault?

If Mr Blum and Instart Logic and other ad providers really want to help "'quality publishers like The Register'," then perhaps they could devote some of their coding energies to making it practical to not ignore polite requests without giving a blank check to third party sites.

And I'm asking politely. Thank you.

Interesting that you'd "assume" distrowatch and youtube create/provide/host their own ads displayed on their page (i.e., adding both to the site pass list). You've simply proved this isn't the case (and thus the problem) with most selling ad space to 3rd party ad providers (e.g., Instart Logic) with no control of 3rd party content...
    When 70+% of malware is arriving via ads...who you gonna trust?
    Exactly why I UT and also use the add-on/extension uBlock Origin. Trust is earned and there simply aren't enough layers when I'm like; TNO!
    Anyway, if this snit worked as advertised, none of us would have a J.O.B.. So keep fighting the good fight and continue making honest attempts at staying up with the malcontents...I hates em.
    Last edited by f1assistance; 08-12-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    -------

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    Interesting that you'd "assume" distrowatch and youtube create/provide/host their own ads displayed on their page (i.e., adding both to the site pass list). You've simply proved this isn't the case...
    I didn't assume that. Both are in the Ad Blocker logs. Putting either in the pass list allows some ads.

The point is that ad vendor complaints that people ignore polite requests to disable ad blockers is for all practical purposes a complaint that people use ad blockers at all. It's not practical to allow all ads just for the site making the request.

My bad, I use Web Filter and block the Marketing Services and Online Ads...I never liked nor trusted Ad Blocker (i.e., AdBlock) because for a price they'll allow your ad junk through their filter...
    Last edited by f1assistance; 08-12-2017 at 03:02 PM.
    -------

It seems like content providers are going to have to start reverse proxying ads into their pages. Because only when all ads come from the same domain will passing a single site be easy.

Or... *gasp* site owners will actually have to create a plugin that downloads ads to the local server and serves them up itself!
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I wrote up my thoughts on ad blocking about a year ago.

https://blogs.msmvps.com/jcoehoorn/b...d-ad-blocking/
    Last edited by jcoehoorn; 08-12-2017 at 09:22 PM.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 8GB with Untangle 12.2 to protect 200Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    I wrote up my thoughts on ad blocking about a year ago.
    I think outside simply hating ads, those would be sensible principles, or reasons, for ad blocking. I'm glad you included, for example, bandwidth concerns relative to ads versus content and third party to first party site visit ratios. Good work.

At present, though, all we have are the blunt instruments of block first, ask questions later. One of the reasons I prefer using Ad Blocker versus Web Filter is that Ad Blocker gives me the theoretical option, at least, of allowing some ads. If only ad vendors and content providers would streamline the process of allowing ads on a selective basis until better management tools are available--or until the online marketing industry settles into something acceptable to all stakeholders.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 08-14-2017 at 07:33 AM.

The Internet at large was never designed to be supported by ad revenue...

In hindsight, this was a serious oversight. But then again, we're talking about technologies that were developed around the same time TV was first really being commercialized. I don't think the original framers of HTTP envisioned a world wherein a single site would be built via requests to hundreds of servers. AJAX started as a bug for crying out loud! The it's not a bug it's a feature mantra is entirely too true when it comes to Internet technology. The more I learn about it, the more I wonder how it ever worked!
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com