Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Is Untangle falling behind the competition?

I don't know all the competitors and I know Untangle fairly well. I see comparisons to pfsense in and outside the forums. I prefer Untangle so please don't take this the wrong way. I am concerned that Untangle "seems" to be falling behind in features that will attract new users away.
    https://www.netgate.com/docs/pfsense...d-changes.html

My concerns:
    1. IPsec Speed Improvements:
    2. Default Gateway Group:
    3. Limiter AQM/Queue Schedulers:
    4. AutoConfigBackup is free!:
    5. DNS over TLS:
    6. Not to mention ipv6:

Please don't take this as an attack, it is not meant that way.

Master Untangler

Initial thoughts...

1. IPsec Speed Improvements.
    - I use OpenVPN, so don't care
    2. Default Gateway Group:
    - I don't need this, so don't care
    3. Limiter AQM/Queue Schedulers:
    - I would like to see Untangle do some more work here, but it isn't critical
    4. AutoConfigBackup is free!:
    - My Untangle configs already backup to Google Drive for free
    5. DNS over TLS:
    - Untangle is behind here. Although it is hard to tell how much ACTUAL demand there is for this today.
    6. Not to mention ipv6:
    - Untangle is behind here.

To be fair you should list the MANY things pfSense is behind on though... And I would throw all web filtering and Layer 7 control in there, which is HUGE.

In my opinion, pfSense is a better general purpose firewall and switch/router. Untangle is a better UTM. Whether that is bad/good depends on your use.

Also, hardware support is MUCH better in Untangle overall. FreeBSD 11.2 is much better, but still not nearly as much hardware support as Debian.
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 11-12-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

I wonder sometimes if UTMs are getting to be less useful, as traffic is nearly all encrypted so to get proper UTM functions you need SSL inspection and that btw is falling out also as many devices do not accept self signed certs any more
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Master Untangler

They definitely are becoming less useful. Encryption is the enemy of security at the perimeter.

But all is not lost, there is still a lot you can do today for web traffic at the perimeter with URL filtering, etc.

Untangler

"To be fair you should list the MANY things pfSense is behind on though... And I would throw all web filtering and Layer 7 control in there, which is HUGE."

I am ok with untangle I just wonder about new users who don't look as close. Untangle needs growth or it will go down and we will all lose out.

Master Untangler

Of course that is a possibility. But the exact same thing could happen to pfSense or Sophos too. It can also be said that if they staff up / spend too much on new features that do not drive enough new sales they will go out of business, too...

It will always come down to having the right features at the right time, marketing/publicity (people can only buy it if they know it exists...), price point, and the support network (in-house and 3rd party/reseller). Overall Untangle is sitting pretty nicely in those 4 areas today.

Your guess is as good as mine for the future.

Untangler

I am not guessing anymore. I am starting to wonder tho. From the questions in the forums and feature requests here.
    https://untanglengfirewall.featureupvote.com/
    Both seem to match up with the pf update. Maybe they are looking at Untangle. LOL
    JasonJoel likes this.

They also implemented a better way to customize the captive portal, you just upload your background, logo, and type in your text. With untangles, you have to upload a custom one and if I am not mistaken it could be over written by updates
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Untangle Ninja

A better way or a simplified but limited way?

I don't think there can be a consensus on stuff like this. Feature envy is powerful but also usually unhealthy in my experience. It's easy to oversimplify everything attractive into something "better."

That's all just my opinion, of course. I tried very hard to like pfSense when I had to make a solution decision. It just didn't fit my needs nor my tastes. As long as Untangle continues to fit my needs and I find using it a satisfying experience, I'm content. If Untangle crashes and burns, it won't be the first time my preferred solution left me orphaned for inexplicable reasons. For example, anybody remember WordPerfect? OS/2? Etc., etc.

"A better way or a simplified but limited way?"

A simplified but not limited at all as you still have the option to download the CP code and customize it the way you like, so you got the best of both worlds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast