Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    Re: multiple gaming systems - That is an absurd, elitist answer (how dare you tell anyone what they should/shouldn't do with their money or how to use their systems). But you are entitled to your opinion, just like I am mine.

Anyway, I guess there is no point in commenting any more on this thread since everyone is a genius and knows for a fact there is no legitimate use case for uPNP. Enjoy.
    There are plenty of use cases that would like to use uPnP, but the real fix isn't a nightmare daemon that has been abused since day one. The real fix honestly, is IPv6... We're all stuck until then.

uPnP is the networking equivalent of Internet Explorer... you use it because you have to in some nightmare scenario that you'd rather just not deal with anymore.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Everyone please calm down.

We don't recommend upnp, but there are use cases where it is valid and serves a purpose (that's why we went through the effort to add it!)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Everyone please calm down.

We don't recommend upnp, but there are use cases where it is valid and serves a purpose (that's why we went through the effort to add it!)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Yes you did, and you went even further to make the selection of who and what can use it using every knob imaginable. It is, I dare say, the best implementation of uPnP anyone could ever ask for.

But I still won't use it, because all it takes is one errant device and the entire network segment is wide open. We're always going to have errant devices! Which is why, we get to my very personal opinion that it doesn't belong on any network, ever. Yet, I have to again point out, if you're going to uPnP, you want to do it the way Untangle does it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I used Chromecast here with my u25w with upnp disabled. I moved it to our condo and it works on the Asus router with upnp disabled. Maybe I'm just lucky.

The good news is your Chromecast hasn't actually been “hacked” - rather, someone was able to cast to your Chromecast due to an opening in your home network. This is the result of your router making some smart devices, including Chromecast, publicly reachable, due to a router feature called Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12