Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Preventing Chromecast Attacks

If you think I got Grumpy

Master Untangler

Except you can't really use a Chromecast without uPNP enabled... So just saying 'turn of uPNP' isn't a solution, nor is it helpful for home users that rely on it...

I agree uPNP sucks, but the fact is that a number of things simply do not work without it. Yes, I think the industry needs to move to something else, and I'll happily use the 'something else' when it exists, but for now if you have multiple gaming systems, host various online games, use Chromecast, etc you need uPNP.

So keep your IoT items isolated from the important devices on your network, and carry-on.
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 01-03-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Master Untangler

I thought Untangle blocks upnp by default? At least I have disabled it and my cromecast still works. What am I missing?

Master Untangler

1. How many chromecast do you have on your network?

2. Works for what exactly? There are many threads out there on the features that get broken on a Chromecast by disabling uPNP. So I guess I should have been more specific - not ALL functions break.

I've never allowed uPnP on my networks, even at home. Things "work", just fine.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I've never allowed uPnP on my networks, even at home. Things "work", just fine.
    * for your uses.

Surely you aren't insinuating that since your use case works fine without uPNP that everyone else's does? Because that would be absurd.

Untangler

Over a dozen chromecasts, mix of IOS and Android, Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Plex, Philo, Youtube, no uPNP, no issues here.

I must add... this is in my case... IOT, gaming systems, etc. Personally in using chromecast for the past few years, I never ran across a need for upnp but its obvious that something is opening those ports on certain systems and has a "need" for them!
    Last edited by cybrwulf; 01-03-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Master Untangler

No I ask to learn what I may be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    * for your uses.

Surely you aren't insinuating that since your use case works fine without uPNP that everyone else's does? Because that would be absurd.
    The only time I've seen a need for uPnP in any home is in the case where multiple game consoles exist. And for those parents I have a long talk about money, the value of it, and how they invest in their children. By the time I'm done they usually realize a desktop is a vastly better investment and we don't have these issues anymore. But even on the game consoles, you only need uPnP support for games that are poorly programmed.

Turn that junk off... it has no place on a modern network. The issues vastly outweigh the gains, and I don't care about entertainment junk not working because of its terrible coding. You however, get to field complaints from students on a network full of such devices. In that case you turn it on because the kids are isolated. It still sucks, but that's also not your problem.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 01-03-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    bluechris likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Re: multiple gaming systems - That is an absurd, elitist answer (how dare you tell anyone what they should/shouldn't do with their money or how to use their systems). But you are entitled to your opinion, just like I am mine.

Anyway, I guess there is no point in commenting any more on this thread since everyone is a genius and knows for a fact there is no legitimate use case for uPNP. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast