Master Untangler

Default It works for gigabit plus fiber apparently :-)

It appears that Fast.com opens multiple connections and I'm running dual WAN with load balancing.

I'm on a 1Gbps/250Mbps plan as of today.

Speed.png
    Last edited by jlficken; 07-03-2019 at 12:52 PM.

I've had Untangle servers handling multiple saturated 10gbit interfaces for years. The largest unit I have in service has six 10gbit fiber ports. But the Internet connection itself is only about as fast as yours is.

Still, it's doing that, and the interior routing, without complaint. But that system is HUGE! Dual 12 core CPUs, 64gb of RAM, SSD drive array, redundant power.

So yeah, Untangle can do anything, if you bolt it on top of the right hardware.

The difference between today and yesterday, is gigabit filtration is possible on vastly less expensive hardware.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Yeah this is only a 4 core D-1518 Xeon with 16GB of RAM.

I'm pretty happy with it though thus far. Work is now running the same box on symmetric gigabit and it's doing great as well.

Oh yes it certainly will, the only time you'll run into trouble with that setup is if you tried to push multiple gigabit links through it. Which is why I recommend sticking with a layer 3 switch, or offloading internal routing to a dedicated layer 3 device. Doing layer 7 filtration at LAN velocities pumps the system requirements into the stratosphere.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

UH... you city folks and your spoiled to death fiber connections...

try living in rural america, my only choice for internet is sat or cell service. sat is expensive and slow as molasses on a cold day.
    having tested the local tower capability at the tower site ( 300 Mbps max ), i decided to invest in some high gain Yagi antennas
    at 8 miles distance with three LTE modems I have a best aggregate download of 75 Mbps on a good day..

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by primerump View Post
    UH... you city folks and your spoiled to death fiber connections...

try living in rural america, my only choice for internet is sat or cell service. sat is expensive and slow as molasses on a cold day.
    having tested the local tower capability at the tower site ( 300 Mbps max ), i decided to invest in some high gain Yagi antennas
    at 8 miles distance with three LTE modems I have a best aggregate download of 75 Mbps on a good day..

I do live in rural America. My town has 4K people and I am 20 miles from the nearest city of 50K and 75 miles from the nearest city of over 100K (there are only 2 of these in the state).

Nebraska isn't exactly crowded LOL.

That being said fiber is showing up in more and more small towns (less than 2K people) in our state and my county anyway will have it to every person in the entire county within 2-3 years whether you are the only house on a dirt road or live in town. Currently though everyone can get 30/5 DSL if the fiber isn't rolled out yet to their area.

My brother, however, lives North of town and he has no options besides satellite or LTE. It sucks for him but in the end he chose to live there knowing that his internet would suck.

I on the other hand have decided that if I move again I will pass on any property where I can't get good internet (100Mbps and up) regardless of how awesome the place may be. I need good internet for my job and I enjoy having it when relaxing at home as well.

You don't have any WISP's in your area?
    Last edited by jlficken; 07-08-2019 at 06:23 AM.