Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question The Force Reawakens

• The Trump impeachment
    • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Big stuff. All in one week.

How will it end?

P.S. Sam Ervin, I miss you.

I'll ignore the movie until it's out on Bluray, when I'll snag it from Walmart during the release week, and use MakeMKV to suck it into my Plex server for time and all eternity. The disk itself will go into a filing bag in my closet, where it sits as proof of my license.

As for Trump, as much as I hate to say this... The Dems failed to make their case, he'll be acquitted thanks to a flurry of reasons I won't get into here at the moment, and probably use the attention to ride into a 2nd term. So thank you Dems... thanks for losing the election in 2016 by putting forward the worst candidate in American history, and thanks for failing to learn the lessons of that year to enable another four years of orange manchild. (I'd love to be proven wrong, but that's what I think will happen)

Note, all of the above are said by a man that identifies as politically conservative. Yet, I'm also an engineer, which means I look at the system, watch the gears turn, and predict results. I also don't care about the ideology of the system so much as it's actual output. Which usually boils political conversations down to lefties accusing me of being a righty, and the righties accusing me of being a lefty. Whee!

Mr. Goldwater, look what they've done to your party...
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-18-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    ifican, Jim.Alles and skearton like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Though i may have summed it up differently, completely agree.

The twitch in American impeachments (I never thought I'd see another presidential impeachment after Nixon) is this counter-intuitive blend of law and politics. Someone can be impeached without committing an illegal act. Yet there has to be a process of some sort that lives under constitutional law as well as procedural precedent. Or so I thought.

I find myself wondering what "due process" really means, if anything, in the case of a presidential impeachment. And that's an uncomfortable place to be. Between a presumption of innocence and due process, we have protections against lawless law enforcement. If neither of those legally binds the parties involved in the case of a presidential impeachment, what then?

As for ROS, I'm ignoring the movie. I'm sure Abrams put out tons of eye candy--he's very good at that--but I'll get along without it,
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 12-18-2019 at 03:17 PM.

There is no due process, and there is no presumption of innocence. The way the impeachment process works, if the majority of the House wants to bring articles, they can for practically anything. Then the Senate votes, to convict or not. So basically, if you have the votes in the House and Senate you can eject any Federal official, any time, for any reason.

Now, the catch here... and a ton of people forget this... there is only one penalty, removal from office. This is NOT a court of law, and the standards of such do not apply. It is very much a political process, and it is politically motivated. And in this case, it's calculated to a degree I feel is rather dangerous for our Republic. But... that's how it works.

Which is also why it should turn the stomachs of most normal thinking humans.

This video sums it all up pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20lJppF4EOI
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There is no due process, and there is no presumption of innocence. The way the impeachment process works,
    Well, I just said what your first sentence says. But we're going to disagree on the second sentence. That's the way impeachment is working, but that's not necessarily how it works by intent. If it were, then the framers birthed a lizard, not good government.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Well, I just said what your first sentence says. But we're going to disagree on the second sentence. That's the way impeachment is working, but that's not necessarily how it works by intent. If it were, then the framers birthed a lizard, not good government.
    There are practically four sentences given to define impeachment and who as what power... so yes the Founders did indeed give birth to a lizard. They didn't think we the people would be so monumentally stupid as to elect what qualifies as a public official these days.

But I think the key is, there's no way to define when we'd need to zap a President. So the powers that are there are enumerated to give the House and the Senate the ability to do whatever they want, whenever they want... because again... we the people shouldn't vote in idiots that abuse that power.

but... we did...
    NexgenAppliances.com

Hamilton probes the very problem we are having today in The Federalist No. 65. I don't think a fair reading of his comments leaves any doubt that the framers had better hopes.

Hamilton probes the very problem we are having today in The Federalist No. 65. I don't think a fair reading of his comments leaves any doubt that the framers had better hopes.
    True... And Lincoln warned us what would happen if we let capital outstrip the value of labor... we've come off the rails in so many ways. And we knew better, because we've had very wise people long ago sounding the warning bell. But we can't handle people like Senator McCain warning us about a housing market issue a mere decade before it blew up, what makes us think we can handle warnings from over a hundred years ago?
    NexgenAppliances.com

The twitch in American impeachments (I never thought I'd see another presidential impeachment after Nixon) is this counter-intuitive blend of law and politics. Someone can be impeached without committing an illegal act. Yet there has to be a process of some sort that lives under constitutional law as well as procedural precedent. Or so I thought.
    Up until now, there has not been a forum that I have felt that I would be peacefully allowed to express my opinion. And I am fully aware of the dangers of 'echo chambers'. I am not getting myself wound up, trying to ignore it. We'll just wait and see.

What amazes me is the bald-faced news articles that have clearly stated that this 'process' will sway the opinion of the American public. But - how does the public have any say in this? Oh wait. That must be what it is about. But then, you would have to re-define the word 'is'. So Law+ politics + propaganda (on both sides, against "We the People").

I have made it clear that I cast a vote, not for one candidate, but against another. That does not translate into me supporting any politician and their shenanigans. I do not want any of them in my living room. The same crap that is now being flung was also flung at Bernie. He didn't stand a chance.

But I don't understand how people believe that this kind of shenanigans just now started in D.C. in 2016. Wake up!

God help America.

.praying.

And Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Nixon said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgYFXCUEL4Y
    Last edited by Jim.Alles; 12-18-2019 at 04:58 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast