Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    The logical and inevitable end of this argument is to opt out of the binary world, and many have indeed followed the argument to that end. Others, including you and me, have not. And?
    We can't opt out, there is no escape! There is no choice, logically! The red pill simply brings light to our world...get over it!
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-06-2020 at 07:56 AM.
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    get over it!
    As soon as you start with this condescending stuff I opt out of your contribution. You either want to have a conversation or you want to preach and rant. Decide.
    f1assistance likes this.

Of course you're right and I understand, simply go back to chewing that juicy steak and forget I ever said anything... drops mic
    -------

Of course you're right and I understand, simply go back to chewing that juicy steak and forget I ever said anything... drops mic
    You're nothing like Morpheus, so the pretense means nothing.
    f1assistance likes this.

Someone watches...it's evident the collective herd understands NOT the empowering reach our a digital platform(s) a force, nor the consequence a binary 3 points of separation can wield(s). +/- the ball is moved. Care take we must, yes? Exotic Distros and operating systems (via 8kun)...purdy and vast the plane of play. Strategic must, an effort minimal awakened know, below the surface importance...begin!

https://imgur.com/4Kfi8G0
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-07-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    -------

It's hard to imagine Untangle users taking no care, but you mean more. I've never clearly understood just what you mean in practice, but since you always assume that's the problem of ignorant people like me, I don't bother asking what you mean.

Your link is broken. I had to add the colon to view the iceberg.
    f1assistance likes this.

Please don't take my incoherent babel personal. I come from 30 years in telecom, and unknowingly helped construct this public surveillance matrix across the plane (that I complain), an industry which had 100 years to get it right. Analog to digital was a long hard slog!
    I'm continually frustrated by what I describe as the infancy of IT and the lack of immediacy in the learning curve (but the measure breakneck dynamic and not stably static). It appears to me an intolerable amount of ignorance across the industry as a whole which awards the current state of broken security witnessed daily. I understand it will come with more time, which we don't have. So; If we don't have the time to do it right, when will we have time to do it over? We won't, and with every second that passes, the deeper blue our eye. I'm not sure if ever we'll get ahead of this privacy catastrophe!
    Our industry has proved in real trouble and all readings I find, tells it's intentional. There's a nefarious game of control being played, and obviously we didn't get the memo!
    Party on Wayne, party on Garth...
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-07-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    -------

I'm continually frustrated by what I describe as the infancy of IT and the lack of immediacy in the learning curve (but the measure breakneck dynamic and not stably static). It appears to me an intolerable amount of ignorance across the industry as a whole which awards the current state of broken security witnessed daily.
    Sure. This state of affairs no doubt exists to one degree or another, perhaps in the SOHO world more often than not.

But we've never seen the solution the same. Just as I am opposed to the modern bureaucratic administrative state, I am opposed to what I take to be your advocacy of a bureaucratic administrative IT. Because of that fundamental difference, you rail against ignorant IT staff, while I rail against the indifferent public. Our industry may be part of the problem, but our industry should educate, not administrate, IMHO.

That said, as a practical matter I'm making little headway educating people about the implications of the modern loss of privacy. We're in agreement about how frustrating it all is.

For example, a few years ago I was talking to the head of the American arm of an Indian automotive horn manufacturer, so an international company in a competitive market. This executive of an international company used Gmail for everything, even moving around blueprints. I asked him if it concerned him at all that Google does not guarantee the privacy of his email. He said, No. At the same time, I could offer him no first hand knowledge of a Gmail breach or Google business practice that had compromised business confidentiality. End of conversation. He wasn't interested in privacy as a theory or as a policy floating on air, but as a concrete business transaction. He wouldn't talk to strangers about things he would include in a Gmail without hesitation.
    f1assistance likes this.

Google has been in general a force for good in this regard, they spend more time worrying about account security than anyone else at that scale. Advanced security measures are built into Google Apps on the lowest levels. O365 requires an add-on purchase, or manual monitoring.

But if you need evidence of breaches, all you need to do is ask... well Google. GMail specifically has been hit several times, and large swaths of its users negatively impacted. I've never heard of any of these situations getting into the Google Apps side of things, as those mailboxes are sharded off the main system. But the free Gmail continues to be a risk for confidential information.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Google has been in general a force for good in this regard, they spend more time worrying about account security than anyone else at that scale.
    Well, part of the conversation here (where I mentioned Google's business practices) is about Google gleaning information from email that is used as part of its business model. In other words, a penny-pinching executive in a low margin business (any similarity to real persons or events is purely coincidental) might think "selling" his employer's privacy to Google was a fair exchange for access to a ubiquitous and reliable free email service. It's not just about breaches from the outside.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast