Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Google has been in general a force for good in this regard, they spend more time worrying about account security than anyone else at that scale. Advanced security measures are built into Google Apps on the lowest levels. O365 requires an add-on purchase, or manual monitoring.

But if you need evidence of breaches, all you need to do is ask... well Google. GMail specifically has been hit several times, and large swaths of its users negatively impacted. I've never heard of any of these situations getting into the Google Apps side of things, as those mailboxes are sharded off the main system. But the free Gmail continues to be a risk for confidential information.
    Get this: Most of the personal data exposed (publicized, and we hear about (in the billions of records)) is a slight-of-hand to distract from the real divulge they and their ilk have on every single device/individual that knowingly or unknowingly touch the tubes to their matrix...Alphabet's issue is not security of Google (search) or Gmail (email), but the unarguable fact their business model is surveillance and data acquisition completed most successfully on all their products and services offered including YouTube and Andriod (the largest cellular platform on the planet). Similar to Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, 23andMe, etc. also main collaborators for the NSA's global total packet collection, they help 'you' move bytes, so 'they' can collect. While the herd might enjoy their efficient services (in the guise of convenience), Alphabet couldn't be further from a 'force for good' from any you think the worst. There is only a handful of Giant Tech that shape our binary world of their intended making and would not exist for it not their compliance and partnership with the deepest crevasses of the Deep State across our digital world, pole to pole!
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

Remember five eyes, nine eyes, and fourteen eyes...please, our literal world sees and is watching!
    Edit:
    Fact- Telecom transports the worlds data, and even off the fastest optical transmission (e.g., OC-3072) 'they' tap and collected the present bytes for the future view.
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-07-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    -------

'They', if it moves have it all; digital imagery, digital video; video games; web pages and websites, including social media; data, meta data, and databases; digital audio, such as mp3s, phone calls; and e-books are examples...everyone's pattern known across the globe. Oh, and building #7 didn't kill itself. D'oh!
    mtarbox likes this.
    -------

Data the commodity of greatest value in our age, and have it 'they' will! It's created in binary every moment in all we do, and leveraging its informative potential the effort we live, by any means, limited only by imagination. This expanding process exposes the dynamics of science churn and facts thought. Be like water...abide the container you currently reside, don't let the change in risk we witness immobilize your form, fill it, understand it in a higher plane, let it advantage your actions, stay focused on its movable point in your future. Be comfortable outside comfort, soothe in chaos and join many on the edge of the herd...question consensus told, contention displays the idiocy everywhere. Wrongheaded thought surrounds, why do what we do, don't!
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-09-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    -------

Don't you have enough of these threads already, without hijacking this one?

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    Be like water...
    Ah! An allusion to Bruce Lee? Hopefully. Refreshing.
    f1assistance likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    Don't you have enough of these threads already, without hijacking this one?
    Well,...that was dry! ;-J
    -------

Okay, back on topic, sorta, please.

OSs and telemetry. We touched on a reason why a person like me might not be a fan of Windows 10 (I felt like telemetry in Windows 7 was pretty easily addressed). But we haven't really talked about telemetry in Windows 7 alternatives.

The only GNU/Linux distribution that a hawk like Stallman rebuked for telemetry, in my experience, was Ubuntu. Ubuntu apologists disagreed mightily, but by then I'd stopped using Ubuntu and my only interest in the matter was whether Canonical had contributed telemetry upstream. Apparently not.

But here is where I worry a little. Torvalds doesn't take a strong position on privacy. He argues that it's a nonissue because it's too late. Even if that's true, I, on the other hand, wonder if there's a conflict of interest at work that helps shape Torvalds' view. His hopes for Linux on the desktop are pinned to Google. Google is not a strong privacy advocate. Ergo, neither is Torvalds?

Why does that matter? I'm not sure. There's no widespread reproducible evidence that the Linux kernel betrays user privacy by design, at least not that I'm aware of. Yet, at the same time, how can Torvalds' soft view on privacy not matter at all?

What ya'll think? Is it just a matter of time before Linux exchanges privacy for a little desktop ubiquity? Is a Linux distro a viable replacement, as far as privacy goes, for Windows 7 even now?

I believe the original question in this thread was should one upgrade to Windows 10 (free or paid), and it was answered many posts ago in the affirmative, if you're going to use Microsoft's products and software's designed in mind; YES!
    As for my mumbling incoherent blather, I've clearly snatched a task of jester to appear NOT the astute for others...swimmingly well I do, yes? Fun is this game of play...while so very serious our realm of production!
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Okay, back on topic, sorta, please.

OSs and telemetry. We touched on a reason why a person like me might not be a fan of Windows 10 (I felt like telemetry in Windows 7 was pretty easily addressed). But we haven't really talked about telemetry in Windows 7 alternatives.

The only GNU/Linux distribution that a hawk like Stallman rebuked for telemetry, in my experience, was Ubuntu. Ubuntu apologists disagreed mightily, but by then I'd stopped using Ubuntu and my only interest in the matter was whether Canonical had contributed telemetry upstream. Apparently not.

But here is where I worry a little. Torvalds doesn't take a strong position on privacy. He argues that it's a nonissue because it's too late. Even if that's true, I, on the other hand, wonder if there's a conflict of interest at work that helps shape Torvalds' view. His hopes for Linux on the desktop are pinned to Google. Google is not a strong privacy advocate. Ergo, neither is Torvalds?

Why does that matter? I'm not sure. There's no widespread reproducible evidence that the Linux kernel betrays user privacy by design, at least not that I'm aware of. Yet, at the same time, how can Torvalds' soft view on privacy not matter at all?

What ya'll think? Is it just a matter of time before Linux exchanges privacy for a little desktop ubiquity? Is a Linux distro a viable replacement, as far as privacy goes, for Windows 7 even now?
    I believe your answer is in the debate of systemd and init and what does it mean to have the eye of Sauron at that level in the kernel...Linus has completely succumb to the dark force, Richard 'appears' to be fighting the good fight. D'oh! But, as I've suggested, the endpoint surveillance and collection is but a tiny point of acquisition. Your pattern is know...
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-09-2020 at 11:50 AM.
    -------

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast