Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    Untangle Ninja
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    I believe the original question in this thread was should one upgrade to Windows 10 (free or paid), and it was answered many posts ago in the affirmative...
    Close, but no cigar. The original question was, will Untangle provide enough protection for me to continue to use Windows 7 as usual for a potentially limited amount of time? The answer wasn't definitive. On the one hand, maybe. On the other hand, from a strictly best practices point of view without regard to context, nope.

    But included in the scenario was the fact that I have no interest in Windows * and had originally intended to install GNU/Linux on the Windows 7 machine and move on. Which is what I will do because Windows * is more work for me than it's worth. But then telemetry and icebergs floated the privacy question.

    Out of the patch box, Windows 7 inherited some of the telemetry features of Windows 10. Is GNU/Linux a safer choice? Or is that just an assumption?
    f1assistance likes this.

  2. #52
    Untangle Ninja f1assistance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs, NC
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Close, but no cigar. The original question was, will Untangle provide enough protection for me to continue to use Windows 7 as usual for a potentially limited amount of time? The answer wasn't definitive. On the one hand, maybe. On the other hand, from a strictly best practices point of view without regard to context, nope.

    But included in the scenario was the fact that I have no interest in Windows * and had originally intended to install GNU/Linux on the Windows 7 machine and move on. Which is what I will do because Windows * is more work for me than it's worth. But then telemetry and icebergs floated the privacy question.

    Out of the patch box, Windows 7 inherited some of the telemetry features of Windows 10. Is GNU/Linux a safer choice? Or is that just an assumption?
    Safer from whom?
    Privacy of what?
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

  3. #53
    Untangle Ninja
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    But, as I've suggested, the endpoint surveillance and collection is but a tiny point of acquisition.
    Of course. But just because the ISS would eventually spring leaks didn't mean it was okay to build them in.

    Forget the jester crap. Appearances, when they are appearances, have nothing to do with problem solving.

  4. #54
    Untangle Ninja
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    Safer from whom?
    Privacy of what?
    Not from, for.
    Not of what, of whom.
    f1assistance likes this.

  5. #55
    Untangle Ninja f1assistance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs, NC
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Potato Potatoe
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

  6. #56
    Untangle Ninja
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Absolutely not.

    Do I install locks on my doors because I know specifically who will try to enter without permission? Of course not. Do things have privacy? No, people do. It's not about privacy of medical records, it's about privacy of the patient.

    It's so easy to abstract things into whats and -isms. Abstractions are too often distractions. I love it when people abstract the actual humans who generated astronomical information into an utterly meaningless and useless NASA. Like NASA invented the idea of planets and galaxies. The enlightened are doing us a huge favor by debunking--whom, or what? Why, what, of course--NASA.
    f1assistance likes this.

  7. #57
    Untangle Ninja f1assistance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs, NC
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Absolutely not.

    Do I install locks on my doors because I know specifically who will try to enter without permission? Of course not. Do things have privacy? No, people do. It's not about privacy of medical records, it's about privacy of the patient.

    It's so easy to abstract things into whats and -isms. Abstractions are too often distractions. I love it when people abstract the actual humans who generated astronomical information into an utterly meaningless and useless NASA. Like NASA invented the idea of planets and galaxies. The enlightened are doing us a huge favor by debunking--whom, or what? Why, what, of course--NASA.
    Just to be clear, you seriously believe 'people' and 'patients' today have privacy?
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

  8. #58
    Untangle Ninja
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    You just can't go off script, can you. No, just to be clear, I don't. What's that got to do with your potatoes comment?

    You are part of the problem when you don't clearly identify the point of the privacy conversation, just to be clear. And you managed to get it wrong in two consecutive sentences.

    This is way more work than it's worth. We're accomplishing nothing. Some monotonous and non-constructive script keeps interrupting the conversation. I'm through.

  9. #59
    Untangle Ninja f1assistance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs, NC
    Posts
    1,495

    Default

    I believe in limiting exposer through obscurity real, understanding there is no opt-out option. We can run, but cannot hide.
    It's is exactly why I choose personally to currently use BB10 and LMDE3 w/o systemd, behind UT, several browser add-ons, knowing TOR compromised, and religiously adhere to my boycott list (previously posted) updating as more info obtained. I know my efforts a lost cause, but I haven't completely given up the silly battle.
    While 'you' personally behind UT is possibly as secure/private as one might expect, we both know for the collective, the greatest risk is and always will be the entity moving the mouse and touching the keys.
    If one clearly understands data points tell, and a myriad of said points tell all, you can understand a single org like Alphabet knows more about you then you can ever know about you. Patterns matter, what you do even explains what you're going to do. This is why say Amazon patented logistically positioning products you will order, before you think it. They know!
    Also, the people farm don't understand the 'convenient' tracker in their pockets today has 20 separate sensors which uniquely identify the user and those in close proximity (every 3 seconds device location known across the globe). You're are known by those you affiliate and 3 points of separation exposes everyone. The desktop endpoint laughably is the least of your problems and while telling, speaks nothing as much as the device with you 24/7/365.
    On another note, I've been seriously interested in Haiku and have it running on another PC since Alpha, now in Beta...it's an 'obscure' environment and another losing effort...we have no win. D'oh!

    Edit: I've thought about OpenBSD but for my business i.e., softwares not supported in all platforms...
    Last edited by f1assistance; 01-10-2020 at 06:12 AM.
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

  10. #60
    Untangle Ninja
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    The desktop endpoint laughably is the least of your problems...
    The desktop endpoint is the subject at hand. It's not your prerogative to broaden that subject ad infinitum.

    Admins, if you're following along please feel free to lock this topic.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2