Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Home license and working homeoffice (Entangle answer please)

- First this question did not look fit for any of the others forum sections, so i am posting here.
    - Second i did write "(Entangle answer please)" because i am/was worried untangle personel dont check this forum because it is "Off Topic".
    - Third i am posting here because i believe this answer may be useful for other people.

Hi, in this time of pandemic i would like to know if working homeoffice breaks the home license terms. I live alone, i am a Information Security employee of a company.

If it's illegal to work from home from behind a HomePro... I dare to say the vast majority of such license holders are in violation.
    RonV42 and f1assistance like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

"Users may not use the license in mixed use settings that may be considered commercial such as residential care facilities, childcare facilities, home-operated businesses or any setting that is wholly or in part a commercial endeavor."

Theoretically i think working from home from behind a HomePro may be considered a setting that is in part a commercial endeavor. So i wanted to make sure.

English is not my native language, so correct me if i am wrong, and if i am not, would be great a official position from Untangle in a time most if not all people that are able to is working homeoffice.
    Last edited by harold.cardozo; 07-06-2020 at 04:25 PM.

That language boils down to something very specific though...

Do you own the business you're working for?

If the answer is yes, you don't have a home... you have a business. If the answer is no, you're just another employed person, who doesn't check their email at home?

The license is intended for hobbyists, so even running a server isn't really against the TOS. Now, if you're making money off said server... again business.
    hpaunet and f1assistance like this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

As i said i am a employee, i am not the owner.

I have a server for my personal use only which i don't make any money from, i use to backup some data and i have a accounting system i developed for my personal use only.

But i work with information security and the information i work with is very sensitive.

I guess about what you said looks like i am fine, but Untangle giving me a official answer would reassure me and many other people who has o may have this doubt now and in the future.

Untangler

In my eyes home license should be fine. If the licensing is going to clamp down that much people would move to pfsense etc

Untangler

If you are an employee working from home for a corporation that has its own offices in the way a lot of us are working from home today due to shelter-in-place restrictions, that is home use.
    JasonJoel and f1assistance like this.
    Heather P
    Untangle Product Team

Untangler

My situation is a little less clear. To be honest, before today, I never even considered it an issue.

I am one of 5 owners of our business. We have a shop, which is where I spend most of my time. But on Fridays (and days like today where I need to be productive and avoid the distractions of the office) I work from home.

I still think I'm fine, but it would be nice to get feedback from an Untangle employee.

Untanglit

thanks!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sperman View Post
    My situation is a little less clear. To be honest, before today, I never even considered it an issue.

I am one of 5 owners of our business. We have a shop, which is where I spend most of my time. But on Fridays (and days like today where I need to be productive and avoid the distractions of the office) I work from home.

I still think I'm fine, but it would be nice to get feedback from an Untangle employee.
    Yes, all good. You're not running your whole business from home, you're just working from home for a business that has a physical shop. Similarly, I'm a Product Manager at Untangle. In normal times, I work mainly in our San Jose office. But if the plumber comes to my house, or I need a quiet focussed day, I will work from home. If I do it once, or every Friday, it's still the same concept, and fits a Home Pro license.
    sperman and JasonJoel like this.
    Heather P
    Untangle Product Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast