Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why masks?

Default Why masks?

Wearing masks might hide your shame, but that's about all. Don't be sheep!

Mask Facts
    mikeyscott likes this.
    Vanguard Untangle...because nothing's worse than doing nothing!
    -------
    2, Pentium (R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz 2599.968, 2089.96MB RAM
    And building #7 didn't kill itself!

Master Untangler

I wear one when I'm out of the house. Better to err on the side of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I wear one when I'm out of the house. Better to err on the side of safety.
    WOW! Even though there's ZERO science and evidence to support your statement.
    You could correctly say; "Well, I wear a mask because it emotionally makes me 'feel' better and sorta hides my shame in doing so, because I live to be apart of the scared collective". Yes?
    Q: If 'they' are willing to lie about masks to shift the people, what else are they not being honest about?
    Remember FEAR is the tool used to manage the herd, we witness it everyday in the technology we support!
    -------

Master Untangler

I’m being responsible and doing my part to help in whatever way to minimize the spread. I always have a stash of surgical masks ready if I need to g outside. A few N95 masks in areas where social distancing might be impossible. Surgical gloves as well, when grocery shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I’m being responsible and doing my part to help in whatever way to minimize the spread. I always have a stash of surgical masks ready if I need to g outside. A few N95 masks in areas where social distancing might be impossible. Surgical gloves as well, when grocery shopping.
    Most enslaved don't recognized their shackles. You're not being responsible if your belief is a complete fallacy, masks don't minimize the spread...neither does social distancing. D'oh!
    It simply shows programed brainwashing and a wrongheaded control mechanism bought. But,...as long as you 'feel good' and think such, Good Job! :-J
    -------

Untangle Ninja

I find the "masks do nothing, you're all just sheep" people as off-putting as "the masks are vitally important, if you don't wear one you're a murderer" people.

Masks do a little. Social distancing does a little. Washing your hands does a little. Sanitizing does a little. All the littles are not equal, but hopefully all the littles add up.

People are still going to die, that's just the inevitable result of biology: life finds a way, often at the expense of other life.

Even though this is the Off Topic forum, I think politics should be off-limits. Mask are inevitably political, having become vital totems to both sides.
    sperman, Jim.Alles and oj88 like this.

If masks do so little, why do doctors wear them in the operating theater?

If masks do so little, why has their adoption dropped infection rates of even the common cold?

This isn't political, it's science. It isn't political, it's the perpetuation of ignorance. Even the linked article admits this...

Surgical masks – loose fitting. They are designed to protect the patient from the doctors’ respiratory droplets. The wearer is not protected from others airborne particles
    I'm going to focus on this point, because the article actually makes many more. All of which speak of their efficacy, not their lack thereof. Masks do not protect the wearer, they protect others from the wearer. They will protect the wearer in certain ideal conditions, but the protection provided isn't much. If you do not understand this, or you're not willing to deal with this reality... you are the problem. A citizen does what is necessary to protect his fellow countrymen. The mask is there to prevent you from making someone else sick for the 24-48 hours you're infectious before you show symptoms. It's there to prevent you from making someone else sick for the UP TO TWO WEEKS you're infectious if you're asymptomatic. The government shouldn't have to order you to do anything, you should simply do this because it's your duty as a citizen in a free society. And you as a citizen do not know when you'll become a walking biological weapon. You will become that weapon, we ALL will. We'll ALL get this at some point. The mask is the price we pay for an open economy, it's all we can do to slow this down enough to keep things running.

F1assistance, you talk about being "sheep" yet you spew forth an article curated by Marilyn M. Singleton. She's a political pundit, with a legal and medical background. Now the latter would seem to impart some level of authority to her words. Unless you bother to read into her biography and discover her background does NOT include epidemiology, or virology. Believing her words on masks, is very much like calling up a programmer and asking him or her to secure your network. She doesn't have the relevant expertise to have a professional opinion here. She's just another talking head, blowing air out her arse to get clicks. Worse, this article has specific lines such as the one I quoted above, which are just enough to prevent the article from being stricken, or getting her sued over it. It's not technically wrong, simply authored to draw your attention to details that don't matter.

Stick to your ignorance if you wish, but I'm going to follow the directives and recommendations of those currently working in the overcrowded ER a few miles up the road. This mask is my rifle, its made by the lowest bidder, it generally sucks, and doesn't work all the time, but it's the best tool I have to fight this threat. This treat is existential, not because it kills but because it makes people sick for 22 days. It doesn't take one or two people out at the office, it takes the ENTIRE OFFICE all at once. My job is to help my customers get through disasters, I can't help them survive for a month without employees! And I live in Mesa, AZ, less than five miles from "ground zero" in the Phoenix area.

You don't want to know how many Teams client's I've installed... nor do you want to know how many people I've helped over the phone while they were coughing... desperately trying to work through this nightmare as best they could. I've lost my largest client over this, because they all but had to shut down when both their warehouses were hit and everyone called in sick.

SARS-CoV-2 is not a joke, and you will not perpetuate disinformation on this topic. Not while I'm here. Untangle, consider this my gauntlet thrown. My die is cast on this topic. You can remove these topics if you wish, but if they are present I will, in true flaming Skyknight fashion if necessary, die on this hill. I do this in memory of my forebears who have fought and died for the US. I do this to protect the friends I have slaving away in the local ERs. I do this, so that my at risk son, and my at risk sister, and my at risk mother-in-law have the ability to see the light of day someday. I do this as a small business owner trying to help other small businesses become pandemic resistant. Because I am a citizen of the Untied States of America, and it is my duty to fight all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Finally, as an IT service provider that moves around between offices, I'm well aware of the fact that I am personally a threat vector. I sanitize before I enter, and again when I leave each stop. I have several masks in my car, each is replaced and only used at a given stop once. They are then washed when I get home to repeat the process the following day. I do this, so that I don't take my entire customer base out being the common vector. Because were I to become that common vector, I'd find myself without a paycheck rather quickly. I assume, all other MSP owner / operators would be doing something very similar lest they risk the same outcome. And if they aren't... well I guess that tells one all they need to know about who they really are.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-14-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Sky-night, showing my ignorance again, but if you're not infected you should wear a mask and distance because?
    -------

Not funny, this is serious! :-J

People That Wear a Mask in Their Car
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by f1assistance View Post
    Sky-night, showing my ignorance again, but if you're not infected you should wear a mask and distance because?
    You didn't bother to read what I wrote before, so let's try this again with smaller words.

You wear a mask because you simply do not know you're infected. To further complicate matters, prior infection is not known to impart immunity. So even if you had a confirmed case of COVID19, and you test positive for antibodies... yes you STILL need to wear a mask. Because again, you do not know if you're infected. A better word would be contagious I suppose, always assume you're contagious.

Coronaviruses are devious little things... imagine the worst digital viral infection you've ever fought and multiply it by 1000 and you'd be close to how infectious this monster is. It's equal parts fascinating, and terrifying.

For those that are curious as to the science of it... here: https://www.scientificamerican.com/i...e-coronavirus/ Got a VR headset? There's a simulation in there you can play with.

Note: The above will show you how the virus uses the ACE2 receptors in your cells. This article uses sinus or lung cells as an example but it's important to know ACE2 receptors exist in almost ALL human tissue. Which is why this thing once it gets into your body can seriously screw things up. Your prior health just doesn't matter... if this thing explodes inside you... all you can do is buckle up and pray. This virus can muck with some seriously fundamental biochemical processes in your body, and you just don't know how you'll react until you get it.

A huge number of us, don't even know we got it... yet we made others sick.
    A larger number of us will suffer everything from a minor cold to a severe flu, but get better.
    And a few of us need help... buckets of it.
    Finally a thankfully extreme minority of us, just won't make it.

We wear masks to try to save that minority, because it'll more than likely be your parent, or grandparent that succumbs. No nation ever survives the loss of its elder generation, and yet the world at large is facing that reality right now.

So pass your IQ test, put your mask on. Because what you're really doing by not wearing a mask, is intentionally wearing a Bill Engvall sign. (And if you don't get that joke, seriously... go watch some stuff it's funny)
    Last edited by sky-knight; 07-14-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast