Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Way off topic... where to start a new blog.

I know this is way off topic, but I figured who better to poll than you crazy guys (and gals)?
    I want to start a blog and have no idea how to get started. I know there are places out there that will host my blog for free, and I'm sure some are better than others. Does anybody have any recommendations? Would I be better of setting up my own, private blog site using some tool?
    Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated.
    Rosic

This is what I did. Got a very cheap domain at godaddy when it was $1.99, then looked into free hosting service with no banner ads. After few days of researching, I am using freehostia.com They offer:
    Free Hosting
    Data storage: 250 MB
    Monthly bandwidth: 5 GB
    Hosting for 2 domains
    NO ADS
    PHP & Perl enabled
    1 MySQL database
    10 MB MySQL DB space
    Elefante free scripts (?)

They have free script installers (elefante free scripts). It is literally one click install for BLOG

* Movable Type - With more than 50 new features, MT4 will enable you to quickly start a blog, easily manage entire blogging websites, and better connect with your audience. Here's some of what's new in MT4: A completely redesigned user interface It’s easy to install and easy to get started. Get an at-a-glance summary of your blogging activity from content to contributors on our new dashboard. Easily insert text, photos, files and more with a rich WYSIWYG editing. Built-in asset, photo and file management. Support for creating standalone pages that automatically inherit your blog's design. Built-in member registration system for reader and comment authentication. Support for OpenID. Aggregate posts from multiple blogs into a single blog. Expanded options for archiving and displaying content.

* Textpattern - When it comes to publishing on the internet, beginners and experts alike are met with a bothersome paradox: word processors and graphics applications allow anyone to do a pretty good job of managing text and images on a personal computer, but to make these available to the worldwide web a seemingly similar environment of documents and destinations ease of use vanishes behind sudden requirements for multilingual programming skills, proficiency in computer-based graphic design, and, ultimately, the patience of a saint. Those who soldier on anyway may find themselves further held back by the web’s purported inflexibility with written language, with its reluctance to cope with all but the plainest of text, or by the unpredictable results brought about by using WYSIWYG web editors. Textpattern is a web application designed to help overcome these and other hurdles to publishing.

* WordPress - WorldPress is a personal publishing script, which offers a cross-blog tool, password-protected posts, importing, typographical eye candy, Multiple Authors and Bookmarklets.

* b2evolution - b2evolution is a powerful blog tool you can install on your own website. It includes all the features of traditional blog tools, and extends them with evolved features such as file & photo management, advanced skinning, multiple blogs support as well as detailed user permissions... Not to mention third party plug-ins!

http://freehostia.com/elefante.html

Hope this helps.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Looks good. I'll look into it. Can you put a link for your blog so I can take a look at it in action?

myopiniondoesmatter.com/blogs

Haven't changed anything nor posted anything. I just installed the script.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Very cool. I think that may be the way I go. Although it took quite a while for your site to load.

You are right, it was little slow all of a sudden. I think I am gonna host my own at my apartment. I have comcast but my upload speed is weak. O well. Anyways, if you want to host your own, you might want to check out this URL.
    http://www.chsoftware.net/en/useware...download%3E%3E

First select the "I do not have a MoWeS Portable II Package and want to obtain a new package". On the next page, you can select all the applications.

Haven't tried this, most likely end of this month.

Untanglit

for simple blogging ("web logging"), look at blogger.com/blogspot & wordpress.
    old-school, but effective

Untangler

I have started to look into this myself and am an active reader of Lifehacker and they posted this about a year ago:

Host Your Domain With Free Apps

That's great info. Thanks.

Untangler

another vote for blogger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast