Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

I hope you all know that there are many Linux based 'media centers'

MythTV, SageTV, XBMC, Linux MCE...

Also, we've heard why you shouldn't build an all inclusive HD HTPC from whatuusay, Rick, care to tell us how you have successfully done it? I know there are many people interested in this subject, myself included, but many of the resources online seem to be very outdated and you appear to have recent success. Please share your experiences for us.
    Last edited by pvcrisp; 12-18-2008 at 07:54 AM.

Media Center is nice, but I have to agree it has its issues. Also, getting high def content into and out of it is a giant pain in the rear... I've tried. I've personally just given up on the project until the cable card system becomes more standardized. It is possible to use remote blasters with HD tuner cards and have the tuner switch channels on the command of the media center remote... but the process is just too darn clunky for my taste.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

yeah tuners are a pain and a bit expensive

I love my HTPC. I use it daily as a DVR with Beyond TV and 2 tuners. OTA is great for free HD and looks fantastic. I use XBMC for the frontend as it does music, movies, tv series, weather....etc. I'm using it for HD DVDs and plan on adding blu-ray to it too. You can check it out in my sig.
    Untangle PC 2.4Ghz P4 l 768mb ram l 40 gig hd l 2 nics (one on board)
    My HTPC l My Blog l My Website

I would go with the HD homerun, it has dual tuners, ethernet port, and works with MCE, VISTA MC, and etc. So the HTPC doesn't need to have a crazy setup. I miss the good ol days. (H and the HU cards)
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I've got an HTPC built inside of one of these, but in black:

it had to be that size case, because it now sits where the VCR used to be (remember those?), and there's insufficient clearance for anything bigger. It's a Pentium D 820, so not the best for power consumption, but I had to retire my old gaming rig somehow.

I am willing to bet that the big boys will come out with 42-60 inch LCD/Plasma TV with PC built in. I know that Apple has the imac, and HP is one, but those have little screens. I think they can go upto 24 inch screens.

42 to 60 inch LCD, PC built in, wireless, gigabit ethernet, 1tb hard drive, and all this for $1000 to 2000 pending on the size, that would be hella cool.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Also, remote could be like the wii remote or the gyration type remote.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by pvcrisp View Post
    I hope you all know that there are many Linux based 'media centers'

MythTV, SageTV, XBMC, Linux MCE...

Also, we've heard why you shouldn't build an all inclusive HD HTPC from whatuusay, Rick, care to tell us how you have successfully done it? I know there are many people interested in this subject, myself included, but many of the resources online seem to be very outdated and you appear to have recent success. Please share your experiences for us.

It's quite easy. 1080p is just 1920x1080 resolution. I don't know about you, but most larger LCD computer monitors (22-26in) are higher then that. Just use a good nvidia (for dxva AKA purevideo) to decode the .264 movies. That keeps the processing off the computer's CPU. You can watch 1080p movies on a socket 478 Celeron single core EASILY. The PC doesn't care if it's putting out 1920x1080 on a 26" monitor, or a 72" one. Makes no difference on FPS.

BUT, for an all inclusive PC like I build? Just build a gaming PC. That's all a media center PC is anyways. Exactly the same requirements. Hardware is cheap now a days. I just built this guy a home PC like he needed, but gave it that extra kick of being a HTPC by adding in the tuner and blu-ray so he can enjoy watching TV and Movies on his 26" monitor.

I play flight sim X on my PC everyday when I get home from work multiplayer. I set a chair in front of my 57" 1080P DLP with wireless keyboard/mouse, saitek av8r joystick, and mic. Settings are fully turned up, and my PC at home is a E4200 and 9600GT SLI. It does need a processor upgrade, I know, it was practically free though. Crysis plays good on "high" settings across the board. Could go higher if I had a better CPU.

So recap: A good all inclusive HTPC for all your home entertainment needs = Gaming PC with Vista Ult x64 and a good tuner card. Unfortunatly, "HTPC" cases can not handle the heat of something like this that I've seen. I'm using a Silverstone, and I had to remove the cover to avoid overheating and lockups. The tuner cards get really hot, and so does video cards in SLI. If you insist a nice HTPC case with gaming hardware, I would watercool.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by gotkimchi View Post
    I would go with the HD homerun, it has dual tuners, ethernet port, and works with MCE, VISTA MC, and etc. So the HTPC doesn't need to have a crazy setup. I miss the good ol days. (H and the HU cards)
    Gotkimchi - How has your experience with the HDhomerun been? I have one and its given me grief since day one. I've tested on both VMCE home premium and ultimate with the same results. My machines are core2duo's w/ 4GB ram. I'd be interested if you had any tips to getting yours up and running.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast