Default SMTP server for UT reports and email

I am considering opening up a semi public email server for this community to use. It's intended purpose is to let you configure an SMTP server on your untangle boxes so that your reports and such. I havent purchased the domain name yet, but I think it will be something like untanglemail.com. What is the interest out there in something like this, because I am not going to waste my time or equipment if only 3 people are going to take advantage of it.

Well I decided to do it anyway. The URL is untanglemail.com. I am going to use hMail as the mail server because I am not paying microsoft for the licenses and hMail provides a webmail interface. Details to come as soon as I get it set up.

Later this week I will be launching untanglemail.com. I will open it up for anyone who wants an account. There will be webmail as well as smtp services for untangle installations to send reports through. Any additional suggestions are welcome.

Just a warning, not that I think anyone here would, but if I see ANY spam going through my server, you will be banned and I will make you famous. I am doing this as a service to the community and to test the spam filter and other UT services. I paid for the domain, I paid for the equipment to run the server, I pay for the IP every month. Please dont make me regret my decision to offer this service to the community.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Master Untangler

Hows this going PROACTIVENS.
    If you need any help with testing etc, I'd be happy to help.

Are you sure that's a good idea? I just don't want to see people trying to abuse your box :-(
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado
    --------------------------------

It is coming along soon, I just havent had the time to get it running yet. I dont think it will be a problem persay. If it becomes one, I will shut it down.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untanglit

$4/month from 1and1.com gets you 600 mailboxes with webmail, a basic web site, and free domain registration. The beginner package is what I had in mind.

The only downside is that you are getting full email boxes. Since the idea here is just to relay reports, presumably to a very short list of potential addresses, you could all but eliminate abuse by allowing only say, 5 possible "TO:" addresses to an account.

Expanding on your offer though though, possibly Untangle themselves could offer this? The idea being that they'd then be able to "mine" the reports passing through their systems for information that'd improve Untangle or just be of general use to the community. I can just see the new headline on the Untangle web site: "5 BAJILLION spam emails blocked!" (as reported by 1 gazillion installed Untangle systems!)

Z.
    Last edited by Zanthexter; 03-07-2009 at 05:57 AM.

PROACTIVENS, let me know if you need any assistance with hmail testing, etc..

1) A gotcha that I found is that it gets a little weird when the delivery_log table gets over 2.5 gigs...lol

2) web frontend is very easily configurable to setup accounts

3) it uses squirrelmail for the web frontend. cool thing is its php, platform independent and all the set info is in the hmail forums.

4) Set up up for zen.spamhaus.org and to tag and delete the spam

I also use hmail as a secondary mx for my customers domains (to only spool email if their system(S) go offline, maintenance windows, etc.)
    Last edited by wharfratjoe; 03-09-2009 at 07:36 PM.

I think I will take you up on that offer Warf rat. I just havent had the time to get started. With the baby, and everyone keeping me busy building untangle appliances, this project fell by the way side. Ill get it back on track soon though.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Cool. Just let me know

Congrats again