Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Beta

Master Untangler

Well, don't be mad at microsoft, they told you to not use the beta in a production enviroment because it's not fully active!

As far as GPOs go.. any moronic hacker can bypass those suckers. It's even easier then asking for someones credit card number in AOL chatrooms lol. If you are a fresh user on a workstation, the instant you log in and push enter after putting your password in, unplug the network cable til you get to the desktop. GPO lockdown what??? Well, until a refresh happens, but it will give you the chance to make any system settings changes you wish, and they stick.

Master Untangler

What company gives people a computer that has never been logged in or on the domain? By the time someone gets the computer it has already been added and GPO's already applied, even if they login the first time default GPO's should be applied.

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    i'm sure there will be..right now the beta isn't useful
    "Beta" and "production environment" should not be together anyways.

They're not making money on this product yet....I wouldn't expect them to spend valuable resources having staff hammer and rush out updates for Servers right now.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Jasin View Post
    What company gives people a computer that has never been logged in or on the domain? By the time someone gets the computer it has already been added and GPO's already applied, even if they login the first time default GPO's should be applied.
    GPO's are applied to users if you've done it right (and not computers). If that were the case, logging into a computer as administrator would be locked down just as bad as a user. If your username has never logged into that workstation before, it has no user info about you stored. If you pull the plug as soon as you hit enter to login, the GPO does not get transfered until the next auto refresh. Until that refresh, you have full PC access.

I'm using Windows 7 right now at my work, I dual booted my workstation vista ult/win 7 during lunch. Works fine so far on a 2008 domain. Zero program issues. Didn't even need the raid driver like vista did. Nvidia video drivers 181 work perfect too. In vista it didn't allow me to pick what tray to print to on our HP 2350 network printer (a real PITA). It does in 7. ha.

So in the end.. so far, it works BETTER then Vista SP1. (true SP1, not upgraded).

Default tested

I tested here at work in VMware and I am impressed.

Untanglit

I've been running it as my primary desktop since the beta hit TechNet.

It doesn't seem like a big deal. Really. It doesn't. Ya know, the new way the taskbar works. But, well, no, you can't have the DVD back. No, I'm keeping it. NO YOU WILL HAVE TO PRY IT FROM MY DEAD STONE COLD CLAWS BEFORE YOU CAN HAVE IT BACK! Ahem.

Grin, okay, as a serious mutltasker, the new taskbar functionality nails it for me. By itself it justifies the upgrade over xp/vista. I regularly have 10, 15 windows at a time open. (A mix of RDP, World of Warcraft (yes, windowed), FireFox, Outlook, TeamViewer, GoToExpress, etc.) It's just a breeze to work with them all with the new taskbar.

I've got three machines running it, all x64. One with 8GB RAM, two with 16GB RAM. Other than some issues with Adobe CS4 that I was able to resolve, no problems, rock solid. Performance in CS4 is just amazing, but that is at least partly due to offloading some intensive stuff to the Nvidia graphics card. Boatloads of RAM doesn't hurt though, particularly working on those 30foot 300 dpi banners.

So, three votes: Mine, and two graphics artists, thumbs up.

yea I ran one of the pre-public releases as a VM. Looks pretty slick, runs great.

I have also heard that laptop users running windows 7 will notice a 20% longer battery life.

As for my gaming PC though...I cannot get windows 7 loaded, not even the latest public release. Microsoft forgot to include nforce 570 sata drivers...lol. I cannot even vlite them in, just bluescreens me. Oh well, guess I'll wait for RC1 here in a month.

I love Windows 7... not so much because it's "better" than Vista... but because the public perception is so easily shifted.

Vista "sucks"...

But "Windows 7" is good?

There is about as much difference between these two OS's as 2000 was to XP. But everyone loves 7...

Granted, I'm looking forward to the new release too but I also have no issues with Vista 64bit other than moron software devs.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Windows 7 runs considerably faster on all the machines I have tried it on compared to Vista. The interface is much cleaner.

Some things still aggrevate me. I LOVED XP's explorer. When you clicked on a folder it automatically expanded. This sucks on Vista/7.

Overall I'm very happy with Windows 7.

Lannie

I call it "Vista SE"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast