Untangle Ninja

Lightbulb Becoming a Reseller?

Hi!
    I am thinking about to start a new business there i will sell Untangle Pre-configured Gateways to medium size Companys.

I mean how can Sweden manage without a Untangle Reseller (or for that mather Scandinavia.)

Before i hit the "Become a Partner" button is it any info that i need?
    I have seen some reseller here on the Forum what do they have to say?

Is it a fun and givnig job?
    How have they done with Hardware? (Build own configurations or purchase Dell or HP)

How easy is the product to sell?

Hope i will get some answer.

Thanks,
    WebFooL

Honestly...

For me the product is next to impossible to sell. I believe in it strongly but the normal small mom and pop shops that I deal with 1-10 seats just aren't interested. It will change over time as the virus problem gets worse and I've dealt with this before when I change out AV products. Of course in this market price drives everything and getting that inexpensive UT box is very hard. Especially when I've spent the last 4 years educating these people why Dell is trash.

I expect to see the pushing I've done turn the corner here in 09 as things start to fail. No one right now is spending unless they have to. And the reality is I now have customers with the product in service for over 12 months and can point at direct operational savings thanks to the device.

Hardware is the next most difficult aspect of selling UT to be honest. I have to spec and test equipment to meet the needs of the customer. Then the linux support issue flys up in your face and you have to knock that down. Again my customer base doesn't have the resources to deal with VM's on their servers. Though, that will change with the next refresh. And, I don't believe in the re-router...

UT has a very nice partner program however, the pricing structure, assistance with advertising and other perks are quite helpful. Over all I have found the UT staff to be as helpful as can be ever dreamed of or expected as a partner.

I have no reservations about recommending the product, the people, or the programs offered by Untangle. Good luck on your future endeavor!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I have just very recently started to promote Untangle in my marketplace, first on my website soon to follow with a targeted flyer campaign. I have been in the IT business for a long time and I do believe that Untangle provides a strong Value Proposition however in this business nothing comes easily so I do not expect the Untangle type of business to take off immediately -- I do expect to slowly build Untangle accounts and leverage goodwill referrals from satisfied untangle clients. My promotional expectation is to invite curiosity and demos that i believe will lead to sales. I spec all the hardware based on need and then have that hardware built for me by a local builder whom I have had good experience with. IMO Untangle business model is ideal especially if you become a MSP where recurring streams of revenue provide a greater assurance of success.

Good luck on your potential endeavor.

I must be the oddball i don't care for UT's(and many other's) partner programs...

I've had good luck implementing the UT product into existing clients, my clients in the 10-75 node size (which is my target client for SMB consulting). My clients realize that increased protection from threats out there is warranted, that a plain old NAT router often isn't enough anymore.

Under 10x nodes...the availability of a box to run it in is hard, and the cost. But those clients in the larger size....I have deployed a few..some pay for pro packages...others I've installed the opensource freebie...with hopes of getting them to sign onto the pro one.

The hard part for the smaller clients...not many have the money to spend on unit to run it on. Nor the room for a full sized PC..or 1U server. For larger clients that have quite a few servers and an APC Netshelter cabinet...no problem.

The lack of IPSec VPN support has held it back from other clients that have WANs. If UT is going to target Sonicewall/Watchguard more competitively...gotta get that IPSec VPN in place...and built in PPTP VPN server hopefully.

Untangles support from my experience has been top notch, quick to get a live body when you call, and to get your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    I've had good luck implementing the UT product into existing clients, my clients in the 10-75 node size (which is my target client for SMB consulting). My clients realize that increased protection from threats out there is warranted, that a plain old NAT router often isn't enough anymore.

Under 10x nodes...the availability of a box to run it in is hard, and the cost. But those clients in the larger size....I have deployed a few..some pay for pro packages...others I've installed the opensource freebie...with hopes of getting them to sign onto the pro one.

The hard part for the smaller clients...not many have the money to spend on unit to run it on. Nor the room for a full sized PC..or 1U server. For larger clients that have quite a few servers and an APC Netshelter cabinet...no problem.

The lack of IPSec VPN support has held it back from other clients that have WANs. If UT is going to target Sonicewall/Watchguard more competitively...gotta get that IPSec VPN in place...and built in PPTP VPN server hopefully.

Untangles support from my experience has been top notch, quick to get a live body when you call, and to get your answer.
    ipsec is honestly a corporate holdover. openvpn is as secure and much much easier to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by hescominsoon View Post
    ipsec is honestly a corporate holdover. openvpn is as secure and much much easier to implement.
    I agree on the security and ease of implementation....but often in SMB we need "compatibility" across various hardware. Many satellite offices already have existing equipment that natively supports IPSec VPN tunnels....they may already have Netopias or Ciscos or Netgears or Siemens units in place.

For ground up builds...ideally I like matching brands across the board. But in the real world...sometimes we gotta mix 'n match. I have 2x clients right now that have a mixture of Ciscos 'n Linksys RV0 units...that I've love to stick an Untangle box at the center of the hub.

I've been slinging untangle all over the world in the last 3 months. The UK, netherlands, slovakia, canada, and the US. Things have been going well. As far as my own back yard, these things take time and market development. We need to educate our markets first, and then offer the service second. I will be doing some lunch and learn type shows with a few other people that are aimed at small to mid sized businesses. "how to make your company more viable in this economic downturn" will be the theme. I will be showing off untangle and it's cost savings benefits, I will have a financial advisor there to talk about investments in the unstable economy, I will have a performance analyst that will show people how to do more with less, and I will also feature how managed services and PROACTIVE network management will help your businesses productivity in the long run. You establish up front that productivity leaches such as the internet and myspace are the largest threats to a companies productive health, and then you roll out what you plan to do about it. Make people feel good about spending money and getting back their productivity. Then, follow through on your promises and do a kick ass job during the implementation phase. I can tell you from personal experience, it works. I have more than a few customers call to thank me every month when they are writing their $1500 monthly service checks. If you provide good service, and follow through on your promises, then they will be happy and you will make money.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!