Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Posts marked as read issue?

Is this forum setup to use cookies to see what posts I have read? Or is it using the database? Because when I go from computer to computer I get posts that I have already read. Every time, and I use 2-3 different PC's per day. i.e. work, home, laptop, etc... I am pretty sure there is a vbulliten setting that allows for tracking your viewed posts via cookie or db. I vote for DB please.

Just a thought
    Dude, Where's My Car?

I think it uses cookies because I experience the same behavior.
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado
    --------------------------------

Either way it's annoying, is there somebody who can get it changed?
    Dude, Where's My Car?

Yup, somebody change it please:

Thread/Forum Read Marking Type

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.
    Option #3 Please, I know it says more processor intensive, but thats a load. When I am forced to load threads because I think there are new posts multiple times. That uses the same amount of CPU and more bandwidth! I probably load about 50 threads per day unnecessarily because of this.

It is annoying reading the same threads/posts multiple times. I beg of somebody to please make the change to track threads in the DB as opposed to cookies.

I reminded them to switch it on over at ProWebTalk and it has been the best thing since sliced bread!
    Last edited by MikeTrike; 02-25-2009 at 09:29 AM.
    Dude, Where's My Car?

What you ask for isn't available within vBulletin.

In fact... I'm unaware of ANY forum software that does what you're asking about.. every single forum I've ever deployed or worked with has used cookies to store the read and unread posts. To store all that info in a database for each user... that is a load situation that costs far more than the benefit of this community...

my
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Admin --> General Settings --> Thread/Forum Read Marking Type --> Change to Database (automatic)

But make sure to change the read marking limit to a day, or it will have unread posts backing up forever. Or however many days you want it to go back, but don't go to far back or it will store loads of stuff in there.

They just fixed this over at www.prowebtalk.com because it annoyed the hell out of me working from several diffident pc's

Dude, Where's My Car?

Well then I stand corrected... if it's a simple switch and it doesn't kill the DB server to do it.. heck yeah it would be nice...

From a network security standpoint I don't like the idea of client data being held on the server... but in this case there isn't a way to do this otherwise.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I would love to see it on, but there are worse things that I could experience. Cookie issues are not the end of the world. But please please please!
    Dude, Where's My Car?

i changed it - we'll see how it goes.

fingers crossed.

this is a nice feature that I had no idea existed.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

it doesn't appear to work at all now ... ?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast