Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ESXi as a web demo?

I am thinking about using ESXi to host web demo's of untangle, like untangle used to do. Does anyone know how this would be done? Thanks
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangle Ninja

ESXi is nice. (and free)
    But the real question is what application/os you should run on the Virtual host or am i wrong?

Try a search on the "Virtual Appliance Marketplace" over at www.vmware.com

Otherwise i think a nice linux dist in the bottom. or freebsd.
    Then maby a nice "webconference" or "webmeeting" project from www.sourceforge.net will do the trick.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/webconference/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/webmeeting/

Did only a quick search if you digg deaper you will find more :P

Edit: Rereading the post....
    Or do you want to host demo version of Untangle so internet users can connect and look at the gui?

In that case ESXi is nice make a snapshot after installing.
    Then create a script that reverts to that snapshot every 24 h or so. :P

Edit: Rereading the post....
    Or do you want to host demo version of Untangle so internet users can connect and look at the gui?

Yes, that is exactly what I want to do. Is there anyone out there that would like to assist me with this? If this project can come together, I would not be against setting up some other servers so resellers can use them as demo's.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Untangle Ninja

I have a ESXi server that could host it..
    But i have limited disk space on it. (at the moment. new nas comming)

I alsow have a good ISP (100/10)
    I am in the planning stage of becoming.
    But if you want i can host a Virtual UT box that resets every 24 or x hour.

I have the hardware and the bandwidth, I just need some expertise, I dont do much with vmware. I am testing on vmware server 2 on a windows 2003 server. I need to know how to setup the NICS, do they need to be live (bridged), nated, or can I run them host only? how do I let people connect to them, setup remote admin and allow people to come into the management interface, or is there a better way to do it?
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Master Untangler

esxi would probably be a better way of setting it up without the overhead of Windows on top of it.

if you stick with the vmware server on windows, you would probably want to use bridge mode on the nics, to keep it easier to maintain and configure.

esxi will allow you to set up different nics in different vswitch configurations and allow for a more professional vmware feel for you. i used to run vmware server on a debian box, until esxi was released to the wild. i havent looked back since, it has been a great box, and the esxi base os runs on such little power that all the rest can be dedicated to your guest machines

Untangle Ninja

The best way is to have 3 nics in the Server and go bridge to all..
    This way you have a nice little lab box. :P

but if the users only should access the remote admin gui i would go:

External bridge to the real nic. (this way it gets a real ip on the network)
    Internal and DMZ will not have any users so you can go with one host only and one nat.

you can even install it with 3 nics and then edit the host and remove two (internal and DMZ) The remote gui will still be viewble.

But the nice thing is to take a snapshot when the installation is done.
    And then make a VBscript or Schedual a snapshot reversion every x h. This way if you let public users in the system will clean/repair every x h.

ESXi can have a stock ISO installation in it, very easy to do a bridge mode configuration. Even if you only have 1 adapter!

However, be warned... you REALLY want to have two adapters in ANY ESXi box. If the management is on an adapter that is used for VMs, things get very slow...

What I have is a UT ISO installation in a VM, it is a bridge configuration with two virtual network interfaces. The external nic is bound to the real adapter that connects to my main network, the internal nic is attached to a virtual switch with nothing but other VMs on it. Then, configure a second VM with XP or something in it and attach that VM's virtual interface to the virtual switch that UT's internal is on...

Now you can use the XP box, and tweak the UT in the middle and see how things fly.

The catch? Any virtual switch that has UT attached to it in bridge mode needs to have promiscuous mode enabled. And, FOR THE LOVE OF PETE! DO NOT INSTALL THE VM TOOLS!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

my box will have 2 nics. It's one of my I3000 series appliance that I am going to use for ESXi. I figured it had the firepower to handle multiple VM's of UT for the demo.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Assuming ESXi installs on it... the HCL for ESXi is even shorter than UT 5.2!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast