Untangler

Default Dns across Site to Site VPN

I am trying to get site to site dns working

Here is what I can do.
    1. I can ping ip address from remote site to main site
    2. I can ping untangle internal ip from main site but not any pc's behind remote site
    3. I can map drives with ip address from remote site
    4. I can map with FQDN from remote site
    5. I can connect to exchange with FQDN from remote site ( I have to type server.domain.local, I would like to just type server name and have it resolve to FQDN, just like onsite)

Here is what I cannot do

1. I cannot ping host names from site to site
    2. I cannot map by server name
    3. I cannot remote desktop from main site to remote

What I need to get done

1. I need to map drives like the //servername/share
    2. I need to remote desktop to computers by hostname from either site ( for instance I joined the domain over the vpn but I can not remote desktop from the main site to remote site to provide assistance.
    3. I need the remote site to have dns from main site and dns from isp so if main site goes down I can still browse internet from remote site
    4. I would like to have the sites share dns so that I can ping a machine from either site by hostname

Any help you can provide would be great. Basically I need the remote offices to act exactly like the main office.

Here are the settings for each server

Main Site
    External Ip
    Dynamic
    Wan checked (I use tzo, I was not sure if I need to do the hostname info, I was thinking this was just for access to untangle box from outside

Internal
    192.168.16.1 / 24

Open Vpn, Exported hosts

Open Vpn, Vpn Sites client

Open Vpn, Address pool
    export dns check
    dns override checked
    192.168.16.2 (sbs and dns server)

Remote site

External Ip
    Netmask 24
    Gateway 192.168.1.254 (Netopia router with pinholes 443 and 1194 directed to 192.168.1.220)
    Primary dns 192.168.16.2 (Sbs and dns server at main site)

Internal

If you need a site map, please explain to me what exactly you want, Pictures? Diagram or is there a site map in untangle that I can export or
    something

NOTE: In the external network config primary dns setting for the remote site I had to put in the main sites dns servers address 192.168.16.2 in order to achieve the above results, nothing worked before this change

Thanks
    Trevor

Untangler

Forgot to add this in my post, Every morning the vpn stops working and I have to power off and on the openvpn at the main site.

Looking forward to any help

Thanks
    Trevor

Untangler

Anyone?

You need a static IP address for the Main site (VPN Server) since the VPN config file load on the remote site can have problems maintaining a connection to a dynamic IP address server.

Untangler

ok thanks, that explains the dropped connection but any ideas on the dns? Seems like this wuold be a big issue, I cant be the only one

Untangler

Default Anyone...paging.. anyone!!!

ANYONE??? I wrote out all of this info and no one can tell me or at least try to help me ???

and I dont think the dynamic has anything to do with the vpn dropping, even though it is a dynmaic IP, it has not changed since this vpn has been up , the ip has not changed in 4 months.

FRUSTRATED!!!!!!

T

Quote Originally Posted by logicsound View Post
    1. I cannot ping host names from site to site
    2. I cannot map by server name
    3. I cannot remote desktop from main site to remote
    Because an all volunteer forum should just up and bow to your whims...

You can't ping host names because they aren't resolving. You can't map host names because they aren't resolving.

They aren't resolving because your remote site has the wrong dns suffix configured on the local resolvers.

Remote Desktop is a separate issue, and 99.9999% of the time it's thanks to the windows firewall on the destination machine. By default it restricts access to the "local" ip range. You aren't local anymore, widen the scope on the rule or turn the firewall off.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com