Untangler

Default Advise on site 2 site VPN

Hi all.

Can someone please clarify/add input to setting up my site to site VPN.
    Basically have:
    Office 1: dlink 2740b adsl modem/router, mulit session pptp passthrough (ppoe)- ut (bridged) - switch - sbs 2k8 - 15 users that need VPN access to Office 2.

Office 2: netgear dgn 2000 adsl modem/router single session only pptp passthrough (ppoe) - ut (bridged) - switch -server 2k8 - 15 users that need access to Office 1.

I mentioned that they should dumb down both these basic modems and purchase a cisco VPN router at both ends which allows upto 50 simultaneous vpn connections....then thought about setting up site to site openvpn on both ut boxes instead.

Is this a simple case of following the sticky notes re. Config openvpn on the ut in bridge mode. Are there any hurdles I should look out for etc?

Many thanks in advance.

mdh

This would be a case for site-to-site VPN, but if they are used to a PPTP VPN client, some retraining will be needed for the user base. Hurdles to look out for are:

1. Poking pinholes in router to allow connections for the VPN (which sits behind it).
    2. Make sure to use VPN addressing that is not the same as addressing in use on either end.
    3. Possible need to add routes to make free access in both directions.

Most of it will be just paying attention to what you're doing and apply logic if you hit a stumbling block. If that doesn't work, you know where to find us.

Untangler

Yeah lol... thanks mdh.

Ok. What If several road warriors need to access either office from the outside ie. from home, would it be more practical to config both offices as openvpn servers with users as openvpn clients instead of configuring both offices as site to site?

mdh

Use site-to-site with one side as a server and the other side as a client. Exports networks properly and add routes. It will work fine.

Untangler

Righty-O- I'll follow the sticky with ur notes included. Thanks again.