Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenVPN Problem

Untangler

Default OpenVPN Problem

I set up the OpenVPN (on a bridged Untangle) and emailed myself the client. Installed at home on XP and VPN'ed in OK. I was able to ping IP addresses (not host names), VNC to computers etc.

The following day I tried connecting but the VPN adapter failed to get a IP address. The VPN client turned green suggesting a connection and the OpenVPN log on the Untangle server said I had connected. The client log ended with:

Warning: route gateway is not reachable on any active network adapters: 172.16.16.6
    Warning: route gateway is not reachable on any active network adapters: 172.16.16.6
    Initialization Sequence Completed With Errors ( see http://openvpn.net/faq.html#dhcpclientserv)

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Hmm........is the openvpn module showing up with an IP address assigned to that user?
    What happens if you create a new user and have them try to download the client and login and such?
    Any chance your edge device configuration changed and isn't accepting 1194 anymore?

Untangler

Yes the OpenVPN says that I have IP address 172.16.16.5. I installed the OpenVPN on my PC at work and that connected with the 17.16.16.5 IP address. I can try tomorrow with a second user. I'll check the edge device but I highly doubt it's changed.

Untangler

Can you install the OpenVPN client for the same user on 2 different PCs?

Not that I know of, the key would be regenerated, I'm pretty sure that the server would only authenticate the latest key. The older key on the first computer should be considered out of date.

Untangler

When you click the "Distribute Client" button (within OpenVPN, VPN Clients/Sites, VPN Clients) it sends exactly the same files. I don't think that regenerates the keys.

I was just wondering whether you could run with the same config on 2 PCs. It looks like the Virtual IP address is assigned per user, so what happens if I were to connect at the same time on 2 different PCs?

Untangler

Fixed the problem simply by uninstalling and reinstalling OpenVPN.
    I must have knackered the config files. All works well now!

mdh

Quote Originally Posted by richgill View Post
    Fixed the problem simply by uninstalling and reinstalling OpenVPN.
    I must have knackered the config files. All works well now!

Is knackered a technical term. I'm not familiar with that, thought I think we may have an equivalent here.

Untangler

I didn't fix the problem after all. After rebooting the OpenVPN was knackered (tech term!) again. I think I am suffering from OpenVPN's "(in)famous XP SP2 + 3rd party firewall problem" - http://openvpn.se/xpsp2_problem.html - whereby the OpenVPN works after installing but fails after a reboot. I will try later with a different software firewall. (I'm currently using Kerio).

Quote Originally Posted by richgill View Post

Initialization Sequence Completed With Errors ( see http://openvpn.net/faq.html#dhcpclientserv)

Any ideas?
    Thanks
    I had exactly same problem. After long googling i found something about damaged winsock configuration. And the solution:

Log as Administrator, go to the command line and type this commands:

netsh int ip reset logfile.txt
    netsh winsock reset catalog

Then reboot computer and try connect vpn.

This helped me on two machines, XP-SP2 and 2003 server SP1 both with OpenVPN 2.0.9 client.

These commands should reset winsock configuration to state like newly installed windows. You may lose some configuration settings, like ip address or so.

73 de ok1cma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast