Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Error when attempting to connect to VPN

Site to Site or Site to Client VPN: Site to Client VPN setup

Untangle version: Build: 7.4.1~svn20100830r27350release7.4-1lenny

Router mode or Bride mode: Bridge mode

OpenVPN client's OS: Windows 7, Windows XP, and Windows Vista the OpenVPN client software is installed on several different Windows OSes, but users receive the same error on all of them.

What issues are you experiencing or briefly describe the issue:

Several employees are having problems connecting to the Untangle VPN Server when connecting from their remote laptop/desktop. The OpenVPN client software is successfully sent to the user's email, the user is able to successfully install the OpenVPN client on their PC. The problem is that when any user launches the OpenVPN client on their PC and attempts to connect to the Company's VPN, it fails to connect every time, giving the following error message:

Tue Oct 26 12:27:53 2010 OpenVPN 2.1.1 i686-pc-mingw32 [SSL] [LZO2] [PKCS11] built on Dec 11 2009
    Tue Oct 26 12:27:53 2010 NOTE: OpenVPN 2.1 requires '--script-security 2' or higher to call user-defined scripts or executables
    Tue Oct 26 12:27:54 2010 LZO compression initialized
    Tue Oct 26 12:27:54 2010 UDPv4 link local: [undef]
    Tue Oct 26 12:27:54 2010 UDPv4 link remote: 69.26.203.10:1194
    Tue Oct 26 12:28:55 2010 TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)
    Tue Oct 26 12:28:55 2010 TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
    Tue Oct 26 12:28:55 2010 SIGTERM[soft,tls-error] received, process exiting

Please let me know if additional info is needed, or if there is anything that I can do to help resolve this problem. I haven't been able to solve this issue yet, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!

Great post. I wish more users would post their issues like you. Since the Untangle is in the bridge mode, did you create a port forwarding rule on your router for UDP 1194?
    Also, did you create each VPN user their own account and not distribute the same client.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

[/QUOTE]
    1.) Did you create a port forwarding rule on your router for UDP 1194?

2.) Also, did you create each VPN user their own account and not distribute the same client?[/QUOTE]

Hello, to answer your questions, 1.) I believe we did create a port forwarding rule on the router (I will attach a screen shot of this)

2.) Yes, I created each user with their own account and didn't distribute the same client. (I will attach a screen shot of this)

that looks like the router's firewall rather than port forward settings, i'd check that port management tab (i don't have any linksys devices at home, so i'm not 100% sure).

Quote Originally Posted by hlarsen View Post
    that looks like the router's firewall rather than port forward settings, i'd check that port management tab (i don't have any linksys devices at home, so i'm not 100% sure).
    Ok I guess I am confused about how to set the port forward settings in Untangle? I am attaching a screenshot of our current settings on the Untangle server, but it looks like none of them are "On". could someone please give me a detailed walk through for how to do this? I was also wondering which IP address to forward the port to? Thanks everyone!!

You dont need to port forward anything on UT, he was talking about on your Linksys router. The question I have is (and I dont have a Linksys router), the port forward is it for TCP, UDP or both? OpenVPN with UT uses UDP.

See attached:

Ok I think I found where I setup the port forwarding on our Linksys router, and it looks like it's already enabled?

could you create a temp VPN account for untangle and send the VPN client to support. We will test it out here.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by gotkimchi View Post
    could you create a temp VPN account for untangle and send the VPN client to support. We will test it out here.
    Ok I just created a tmp vpn account named "Untangle_Support" and sent the VPN client to:

"support@untangle.com"

Thanks for all your help!

Do you know if you have a business line for your WAN? If your port forwarding rule is correct, seems like your ISP might be blocking UDP 1194. I did get your VPN client, and got the same error.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast