Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Untangle in router or bridge mode? Assuming Untangle is in router mode, is the UPS server using Untangle as its default gateway?

If Untangle is in bridge mode, did you configure a static route for the OpenVPN Address pool in your gateway?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

It is in router mode I am not using untangle DHCP server and overing DNS (push domain DNS server). Yes the UPS server is set to use Untangle as gateway. I thing I found was in the Bypass Rules > Bypass DNS Traffic is UNCHECK is that correct?

Untangler

Make sure you're using the latest version of the OpenVPN client (2.2.2 as of this writing). I sometimes work from home and last week, 2.2.1 would not connect to the SQL servers at work. I found an internet post somewhere stating that upgrading to 2.2.2 fixed it for them; well, 2.2.2 fixed it for me as well.

No configuration changes were made on the Untangle OpenVPN server or on the OpenVPN client prior to the 2.2.2 upgrade.

- Joe

The client was using 1.0.3 I did update him to 2.2.2, he reporting faster speeds but UPS still fails. with the same error.

SSH to Untangle

tcpdump -i eth1 port 1434

Have client open software, watch the packets fly. If you see stuff exiting eth1 (default internal interface) Untangle did its job.

Also, MSSQL operates over the TCP protocol with a default port configuration of 1433.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287932

Changing the port is irrelevant, but the protocol is a huge change. And I suspect due to that you may have been formatting rules for the wrong protocol.

Is this the only user of the software attempting this process? Do you have any other users of the software that aren't on the local ip network? If all other users are on the IP network you may have an issue with your TCP/IP settings for the MSSQL server. Everyone on the local network can fall back to named pipes and appear to work normally when in fact they are broken.

If the server is on Windows Server 2008 you may have some Windows Firewall work to do.

All the more reason to read the output of TCPDump. If you see packets from the VPN user, exiting the Internal interface, and you don't see a response, your issue is on that server, not Untangle.

Stop guessing, start troubleshooting!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

any resolution to this? I'm having the same issue. Cant connect to a program through VPN but works just fine on the local network. Program uses SQL :/

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    any resolution to this? I'm having the same issue. Cant connect to a program through VPN but works just fine on the local network. Program uses SQL :/
    This is probably a configuration issue. I suggest creating a new thread for you situation and add more information about your configuration. With VPN problems, it's best to see if the packet are going through the right interface with tcpdump on the Untangle terminal.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

I'm pretty sure its the same issue. I can connect the VPN and do everything (RDP, network shares, etc) but cant access SQL. For anyone that finds this thread like I did, upgrading openvpn to 2.2.2 fixed it for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12