Untangler

Default Anyone actually using OpenVPN with Windows Server networks?

Untangle 10...

I am amazed that anyone actually uses OpenVPN at all, with Windows networks anyway...

I have been trying to get this to work all day. My VPN connects alright, and I can ping network IP addresses.

I keep reading about the ability to go into the Advanced tab of OpenVPN to export DNS, but my UT 10 server has no such Advanced tab.

To get around the name resolution problem, I put entries in the remote clients' hosts files, so the server names at least can resolve.

However, I keep getting security errors when I try to access mapped drives:

"The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security..."

The remote client laptop is a domain member and has no problem with any of this while at the office and doesn't need to use the VPN. However, she is unable to use the unit over VPN, without logging into each server on the network that has a drive mapping each time.

How on earth does anyone find it worthwhile using this? It seems like an extremely poor VPN implementation - what gain is there for network administrators, using something that is so difficult (if it's even possible) to implement?

Sorry for the rant - I was really trying to just ask how to use it properly.

If there's a link to a decent document for setting this up, I'd be happy to use it. However, UT wiki is useless to me, pointing me to a tab that doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by rob@marathonit.ca View Post
    I am amazed that anyone actually uses OpenVPN at all, with Windows networks anyway...
    Burn this infidel!!!

I keep reading about the ability to go into the Advanced tab of OpenVPN to export DNS, but my UT 10 server has no such Advanced tab
    OpenVPN > Server > Groups > Default Group > Push DNS

How on earth does anyone find it worthwhile using this? It seems like an extremely poor VPN implementation - what gain is there for network administrators, using something that is so difficult (if it's even possible) to implement?
    1 - UT has the easiest OpenVPN implementation ever
    2 - Check your Firewall settings
    3 - Is NAT enable in OpenVPN

I have found several networks (college campuses) which the only VPN which can connect out is OpenVPN. I prefer L2TP but it seems L2TP is blocked on large college campus networks.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Please don't burn me! I TRY to hate Windows like normal people, but I just can't! (Don't love it either!)

Your assistance finding the "Push DNS" was all I needed.

Can't tell you how grateful I am - it's working as it should now.

Thank you!

Untangler

Strange (well, pathetic really) thing is, I had used "Push DNS" before on this particular UT server and it worked fine. Since I upgraded the main AD server, the address is different. So, the VPN clients were looking for the old server to resolve the network addresses...

Anyway, thanks again!

Arrow vpn comparison provider review site!

Hello all,

I am new user. I would like to know about vpn comparison review provider. I have heard a lot about vpn. It's helps to increase speed and hide identity anytime any where. Does vpn really help? Though I am looking for vpn review site. Where can I get this?

Plz let me kno!

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by harrison1991 View Post
    Hello all,

I am new user. I would like to know about vpn comparison review provider. I have heard a lot about vpn. It's helps to increase speed and hide identity anytime any where. Does vpn really help? Though I am looking for vpn review site. Where can I get this?

Plz let me kno!
    You're looking for a VPN service review site. This is a support forum for the NG Firewall UTM solution, which includes a VPN module. You can find the information you're looking for here:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=top+vpn+2015
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Thanks a lot mate for your efforts. Though I heard about little for vpn comparison review site. Yet looking for more info that site I found. Will let you know.