Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Importing *.ovpn files - NordVPN Remote Server - c:\fakepath error

I am a new user of Untangle and OpenVPN.

I have a hardware firewall running Untangle and have the OpenVPN app installed. I am trying to configure the OpenVPN app to run as a client on a commercial VPN service provider's servers (NordVPN https://nordvpn.com/servers/). NordVPN uses OpenVPN as their primary VPN client/server configuration. NordVPN provides *.ovpn files for each of their servers. I have downloaded their ovpn files for Win v10 and attempted to import them as Remote Server connections into the OpenVPN Client tab. When I browse for and select a configuration file it comes back with a file path/name of c:\fakepath\nl34_etc....ovpn. When I hit Submit it fails and gives a java error. This is all shown in the attached png files. I am quite sure that the Win v10 part will not work but am unsure what O/S would be more appropriate for Untangle - Linux?

In the Untangle wiki it indicates that I should log in to the remote site, create the ovpn file, download it as a zip, and install it (http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/OpenVPN#Client). In this case the *.ovpn files are already created and I am not given the option of creating the file on my own. Further, the NordVPN ovpn files are sorted out by operating system (WIn v10, OS X, Linux, Android, etc.) and stored in a zip; I have tried the Win v10 files (should I try Linux?).

I have searched this OpenVPN forum and found one other instance discussing c:\fakepath\. It was determined to be a problem between operating systems and browsers. I am running Windows v10 x64 and have tried using Chrome, Edge, and MS-IE. The other forum post also discussed the formatting of zip folders for the import. I have extracted about 10 ovpn files from the original NordVPN zip and placed them into a smaller zip file however importing it also does not work.

Any feedback would be appreciated. If anyone knows of another commercial VPN provider that can immediately configure with Untangle/OpenVPN I would like to know about it; switching is often easier than troubleshooting.

Thank you

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master Untangler

The Client section is for importing the client config file from another Untangle server acting as the OpenVPN server. As far as I know you can't import a 3rd party Openvpn client config and have it work on Untangle like you are trying currently. You can try the Linux distro from the other end if it is a zip file to see what happens but I fear it won't work.

Third party site to site is not supported. I would use IPSec for VPN tunnel services.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Third party site to site is not supported. I would use IPSec for VPN tunnel services.
    Can you provide additional details or guidance on using IPSec? Again I am a new user to Untangle and need all the help I can get. I can start a new thread if necessary.

If you can point me to a VPN provider that can offer an Untangle "connection" (I guess tunnel is the word I should use) out-of-the-box it would be even better for me.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Master Untangler

Not sure if you had seen our wiki pages yet but if not this is a good resource - https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/IPsec_VPN

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one - I'd like to submit for consideration that providing a means by which to manually add OVPN configurations, whether by copy/paste into text boxes or individual file upload boxes for .opvn/.crt/.conf files, or similar, would be helpful to use OpenVPN for the use of commercial VPN services if IPSEC isn't practical for whatever reason.

Thanks!!

It's not supported but that doesn't mean it cannot work. But you'll have to make a fake tunnel on the Untangle, just to generate a client .zip file to use as a template to build a .zip that might be uploaded into Untangle.

It's not a terribly trivial process, and IPSec is far better suited to this task.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I did just this. I created the fake tunnel, was able to download the zip file, look at the structure, download the keys and opvn files from my VPN provider, created a duplicate .conf file, injected them all into another zip file, and successfully imported it into the client section.

I was able to get Untangle to connect to my VPN provider (connected = true and my VPN provider interface showed the connection).

Problem: No traffic on my network was being routed through the VPN.

Summary: 3rd party VPN was able to connect, but no traffic was routing to it.

Is there a way to get traffic routed through the client VPN that successfully connected? Ideally would like to select which IPs are routed over the VPN, but I don't see an obvious way to do this.

My VPN provider does not support IPSec.

Thanks...
    Last edited by ctaranto; 03-25-2017 at 02:20 PM.

No, Third party full tunnel is not supported yet.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Thanks. And bummer.

Would something like this work if I had a VPN provider that supported IPSec and used the IPSec app?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast