Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Cool can not map drives through OPENvpn

Good day,

I just installed OPENvpn and I can not map any drive through it. Could not get IPsec to work with the current ISP router config.

From the command prompt I can ping the name / FQDN / IP address of the NAS server.

If I try to map the drive using any method above I get a "cannot access" error from windows.

If I click on a mapped drive from the login script I get "The network path was not found" error

There is no domain controller on this subnet.

VPN is UT to UT and is always on.

Everything else seems to be working good.

Thanks,

Dave

Master Untangler

try turning off NAT in the openvpn server tab.

That setting doesn't affect site-to-site tunnels.

I suspect either DNS resolution over the tunnel isn't working properly, or someone forgot to add the remote address range to active directory sites and services so the domain windows firewall profile works and stops blocking stuff.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    hmmm... well I had a site-to-site setup awhile back where it sure seemed like I was seeing the effects of NAT, and things started working a whole lot better when I turned it off. obviously it could have been some other issue that was resolved by disconnecting and re-connecting the VPN.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post

I suspect either DNS resolution over the tunnel isn't working properly, or someone forgot to add the remote address range to active directory sites and services so the domain windows firewall profile works and stops blocking stuff.
    Thanks Sky-Knight,

It is still not working.

I can open a web browser and type the FQDN in the browser and it will connect me to the NAS GUI.

I can also open the CMD prompt and can pingthe NAS with both the FQDN or the IP address.

Any kind of network search I do however comes up blank as if windows can not discover anything on the main LAN.

Dave

If you're relying on Windows's network browser, that is any of the GUI tools to locate a network resource. These tools are built via network broadcast and will not reveal resources over a VPN link. The only notable exception to this is if you have a domain, because the domain controller is is generally the master browser and usually maintains the list of resources so the client can query it. All of that being said, the process is horribly inconsistent and has been so for as long as the browser process has existed, all the way back to Windows 3.11 for Workgroups.

TLDR, stop using the GUI and fire up the command line: net use x: \\server.domain\share /persistent:yes

You should also be able to press winkey + r, and type \\server.domain into the box and press enter, this should bring up a window with your shares in it on the target server, right clicking on the share will provide a map drive option you can use.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Rob,

I could not get either to work.

when I execute the "net use" I get "System error 67 has occurred The network name cannot be found"

when i do \\dibsi.nas1 or \\dibsi.nas1.dibsi.int I get "Windows cannot access" Error popup

This is the first time I have ever done a subnet without a DC on the subnet.

any other ideas?

Dave

What NAS are you using?

Some of them have internal firewalls that limit access to local addresses, hopefully yours is one that can be configured, if not... we may have to build a custom NAT policy to get around it.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Rob,

It is a QNAP.

It works fine from my other sites, the only difference is that this site does not have a local DC onsite and the others were connected with an IPsec VPN and this one is OPENvpn because I don't have a static IP at this location.

My other sites both have local DC that are slaves to the main DC the main network.

Just had a brain fart

The PC that is at my home office was part of the main network before and still has all of the DC info stored locally on it and I would think that it probably does not have anything going between it and the DC anymore, should i unjoin the domain and just let it be in a workgroup instead ... just wondering if it is more off a domain authentication problem since it is probably not talking to the DC than it is anything else.

Dave

I would use nslookup and verify DNS is working. If you're using AD Auth, you're going to need it.

Site-to-site tunnels do not push DNS, you have to manually configure DHCP on the local server to support AD. If you haven't done so, then yeah I imagine you're having issues there. You'd have to map IP addresses instead of names by default.

Does winkey + R, \\ipaddress work?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast