Untangler

Default OpenVPN to share Steam in-home streaming

Little Background.
    I work with stuff like this as a hobby. I love to learn new things and to see the different ways to solve a problem.
    I have been meaning to start playing with OpenVPN for some time now. I am currently away from home for a month and found myself with some time, so I thought I would start now. I have read as much as I can find on this, but I will admit I am not 100% with what everything means or stands for.

I currently have my UT box set up with a hostname. Started OpenVPN app. Enabled it with site name and whatnot(with port 1194). Created my Client as a full tunnel, and individual type client. I downloaded that on my laptop, ran it. Everything seems to connect just fine.

From here I was expecting to see my home networked computer show up in the Network side of My Computer. This did not happen. The Wiki said that I should try to ping a local IP address to see if it is actually working. Turns out, I can, with no issues.

SO, to share the files, I simply mapped network drives by manually putting in there \\IP addresses\shared folder names and it works.

But this was only half the battle for me. I am away from home quite a lot and I thought it would be nice to be able to stream some of my steam games with steams in-home streaming over the VPN.
    From what I have read, this is possible, (I've seen videos of it, but they don't go into much detail, nor do they use untangle) but I know I'm missing something.

Streaming uses UDP ports 27031 and 27036 and TCP ports 27036 and 27037. Where/how exactly should I go about making sure these ports are available for use? (I do not know if this is what is causing me to not be able to stream over the VPN or not)

I can stream to other computers in the house, so I know that that feature is working.

I have been wrestling with this for about a week now and think I am out of ideas. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I do not have to post on these forums often, but you guys have always come through!

Cheers.

I'm sorry, but you cannot steam stream over OpenVPN. The feature is limited to the local IP scope only, and it will detect any attempts at NAT. It's been very creatively designed by Valve so people cannot do what you're attempting, because if they could there would be little reason to actually own games anymore.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Awww... Crush my dreams why don't you....

/s

Well that sucks. I guess it must have been a recent(ish) change, the last video I could find was 2015. Very disappointing. BUT, good to know nonetheless. Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I don't suppose there are any other avenues you could point me towards to accomplish this? My gen1 surface pro cant handle very much and its all I have for months on end.

Thanks again!

I'm right there with you, there is little to no documentation and I learned what I told you after spending a bucket of time trying to solve the issue myself. Steam Streaming requires the two devices to be on the same local IP network, and it needs bandwidth... buckets of it. I cannot use my wifi, I have to be hard wired.

nVidia's Shield is the best I've seen otherwise, it can do this anywhere, but we're about >< close to it being a netflix like service.

But given both products, I've yet to see anything really work from outside my home. It just requires too darned much connectivity to pull it off.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    ... because if they could there would be little reason to actually own games anymore.
    I don't know... I think that latency would be an issue for many games, too, and managing the experience is a big part of it as well.
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 8GB with Untangle 12.2 to protect 200Mbits for ~400 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

You're absolutely correct, but the reason the system was limited to the local IP scope was due to licensing. I found a discussion thread on reddit with some Valve people in it. They had some issues with the feature and some game developers. Sometimes the developers themselves have odd legal things to work with. Tales of Zesteria for example, it cannot be streamed! Everything else I own people on my friend's list can just click a button and watch me play, not with Zesteria. Steam just doesn't let it work, do some Googling on it and you find an announcement regarding some of the content in the game isn't licensed for that distribution method.

But, from a technical perspective you're completely correct too, I cannot get my games to stream reliably if I'm off a gigabit wired connection within my home! I'm not sure what sort of Internet connection would be required. But when you have a bad connection, that injects 1second of control delay IN YOUR HOME over a gigabit line... you start to see the problem really clearly.

Long term however, this is the future. The future isn't streaming our media off our Steam, our future is paying for a netflix like service that has the games on it, and they stream to the end point. Gigabit internet is spreading after all, it won't be too much longer before this sort of thing starts to become viable.
    NexgenAppliances.com