Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Untangler

Default really, really, really newbie question

In reading about VPN I came across a post that seemed, to me at least, to indicate that I should be able to use UT with OpenVPN to give a client out on the Internet the ability to access my LAN, and all the shared resources on it.

Did I read that post correctly. Can UT+OpenVPN do that? If yes, can anyone point me to a tutorial that would help me get it working? The things I've tried so far have been epic fails.

Master Untangler

Correct. You can use either the Open VPN or IPSec VPN to connect remote clients to your network. A good starting place may be the untangle wiki -

IPSec VPN - https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/IPsec_VPN
    Open VPN - https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/OpenVPN

Untangler

Thanks very much JasonJoel. I went through the procedure to set up the server, then the remote client, downloaded the Windows exe for the client, installed it on my Win10 Surface tablet, but it doesn't work.

I didn't see anything about what I'm supposed to see when I execute the remote client openvpn app. It just seems to launch then return me to the desktop. If I try to run it again it says it's already running.

I tried using FireFox to connect to the xx.xxxx.xxx:1194 address listed for the server, but got a "connection timed out" message.

I'm using the tablet through the "internet sharing" feature on my phone. As far as I know, my phone does NOT have any openvpn features of its own (it's a phone from 2012), so I don't think there can be any conflicts there.

From my tablet I am able to ping the WAN address of my UT box, and I can browse the Internet just fine. I just can't seem to get any indication that my tablet is connected.

Any help is most appreciated.
    Last edited by Ikon; 10-31-2017 at 04:34 PM.

After your OpenVPN client launches in Windows, you have to go to its icon on the taskbar (near the time and date) and click on the icon or right click on it and select connect.

Master Untangler

Doing it tethered to phone should work - I do it that way all the time. I primarily use IPSec VPN, as I don't like installing extra apps if I don't have to, but have used OpenVPN before too. Like abailey said, look for the tray app and check the status there, right click and connect if not connected.

Untangler

Thank you guys. I didn't see any new icons in the System Tray, but I will now have a much closer look (it sucks getting older and your eyesight deteriorates).

UPDATE: OK, found the icon (it's pretty small and obscure on my tablet... really). Anyway, it was able to connect. Now I just have to figure out how to actually use the connection Off to research.....

UPDATE 2: Some success. I can now ping the UT OpenVPN server, AND some of the machines on my LAN, including the most important, my server. I can also access the shares on my server by entering its IP into Windows Explorer. That's my main goal accomplished.
    I still get nothing but timeouts when trying to browse to the Site URL shown in the OpenVPN Server tab. I also cannot use my server's name in Windows Explorer to access it; only its IP. I checked that DNS Push is True in the Groups tab, and it is. I also tried changing the DNS in the TAP Windows Adapter v9 to the LAN address of my UT box, but it didn't work. I thought about changing it in the link to my phone's WiFi but thought that could be a problem if I want to surf anywhere other than my LAN.
    Last edited by Ikon; 11-01-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Master Untangler

Also remember that since you are on a different subnet when connected via OpenVPN, Windows Firewall (if installed) on any of your other network computers will block some activity (like ping) by default - as you are on a different subnet.

For name resolution, I'm not much help there. I always connect to my file server and DCs via IP, so actually have no idea whether name resolution to local machines works for me or not when connected via VPN.

Untangler

I figured the PING issue was probably firewall related. It's not a biggie. The main thing is I can reach my server with Explorer. I can live without the DNS propagating too; it would likely be fairly slow anyway. I don't understand why the Site URL doesn't work though. I'm not sure what I could do if it did work; what features or capabilities it would give me. Like I said, server access is the primary goal.

Name resolution won't work unless you use DNS.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks sky-knight. I do realize I need DNS; I'm just not sure how it should be configured, as there are quite a few parts to VPNs.

On another note, I noticed the Full Tunnel option in Groups, and wondered what it's about, so I found this article: http://thedocsworld.net/untangle-ope...ull-tunneling/. It sounded intriguing, so I tried it and it works. Pretty neat. Now I can be as safe on the road as I am on my LAN.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast