Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untanglit

one more thing... do you think running split tunnel may be most effective or least problematic?

Split vs full isn't a decision made based on problems, it's a decision usually made based on performance.

Full tunnel means that VPN client will have all traffic not destined for the local network it's plugged into routed through the Untangle server. This means the device is subject to the filters on the Untangle server, and getting Internet access via that server.

The trade off means, usually... slower Internet access. But it also means if that client is on a multi-segmented network itself, it can lose connectivity to other resources.

Split tunnel means only stuff in the OpenVPN export list, will be subject to the tunnel. This means the device isn't subject to Untangle's filters, it won't steal other potentially local communications, and remote communications not on the defined list of exports will just go out the local router. Typically, that means faster Internet access for the local device.

So the question really boils down to what do you want this thing to do, both paths work well. But each has a different use case based on the complexities of your environment.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

gotcha... I pretty well knew that, I just thought you might know of a value for me to try split tunnel for the peachtree server, but since the server is located at the untangle server location, its not going to matter. Peachtree the software itself honestly doesn't seem to play too nicely with vpn anyway. Multiple people posting on their boards with similar issues when trying to use peachtree through a vpn.
    Peachtree is pretty much buggy as they come, and completely finicky.

As a general rule I recommend use of RDP over VPN to a station in the office, that station will operate Quickbooks or something similar. It's far safer this way, as any access to any database over a WAN link brings with it risks. Risks that will be very difficult to mitigate in an environment this small. Somehow I don't think you've got hourly snapshot backups of that database to roll back if something goes wrong!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untanglit

Sky Knight... Wanted to thank you for your comments and information. My issue with DNS not resolving by name has been fixed and functioning correctly all from the information you provided about entering the domain name in the Push Domain name box. This simple little oversight was the hold up.

And as I wrote in my very 1st post of this thread. The two issues (ie: peachtree not working through the VPN) were related. Peachtree magically began to work after the DNS issue was resolved. That said... it was painfully slow, coupled with the issue you mentioned above about asking for trouble when working with databases through a vpn, left me with the final solution of VPN into the network and then utilize terminal services (RPD) for working with the Peachtree accounting program. This method is much much faster and much safer for the company accounting data.

Client is happy... so thanks once again for the assist and info!

David
    Last edited by dhmoore74; 03-16-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12