Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Correct, you reinstalled OpenVPN on the latter box - so you'll have "new" options. Including removing "comp-lzo" and adding of "compress"
    That would make perfect sense, except the only explanation for johnson and myself to be seeing compression errors on clients, is this getting changed on the server without a reset to the module.

I wish I had noticed this sooner, because his work around is a far more graceful solution than my nuke from orbit approach.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That would make perfect sense, except the only explanation for johnson and myself to be seeing compression errors on clients, is this getting changed on the server without a reset to the module.

I wish I had noticed this sooner, because his work around is a far more graceful solution than my nuke from orbit approach.
    Its not going to change any options on upgrade. Its just new defaults.
    Thats the crux of the whole issue. We can't change the defaults even though they get old (comp-lzo, md5, key size) because it would break existing lients, so eventually you have to reinstall - hence this thread. I can't think of any reason new defaults would affect an existing config.

Send me the server UID - I'll take a look. Your old settings are still there, as well as an entire history for them...
    Last edited by dmorris; 12-07-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangle Ninja

I found another crazy thing... the box where the "comp-lzo" option was replaced with "compress" is running Kernel 4.9.0-6-untangle-686-pae. That shouldn't be possible. The box is headless, I haven't been there even once this year, and no one there would touch it or have any clue what or how to do anything with it.

all the others I've looked at tonight whether running 14.0.1 or 14.1 are still on Kernel 3.16.0-4-untangle-686-pae or 3.16.0-4-untangle-amd64.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Its not going to change any options on upgrade. Its just new defaults.
    Thats the crux of the whole issue. We can't change the defaults even though they get old (comp-lzo, md5, key size) because it would break existing lients, so eventually you have to reinstall - hence this thread. I can't think of any reason new defaults would affect an existing config.
    but it definitely did change them.

I'll PM you the UID of the box. When you look at the OpenVPN settings, you'll see the stock, default, unchangeable setting is "compress". I've Excluded it and added a custom setting "comp-lzo" to restore my client's connectivity.

Untangle Ninja

found another one where "comp-lzo" changed to "compress". weird thing with this one, when I click "Config->About", the dots just spin, it never shows me the UID or Kernel. All the other pages in the UI work fine.

this one also appears to have rebooted itself after the upgrade. It's uptime on the dashboard is 4d 13h 55m.

(edit: ok, now after clicking around a few more screens in Config, they ALL just spin the dots, including screens I was able to access a few minutes ago... guess I need to reboot this one)
    (edit2: nevermind the first edit... turns out I still had OpenVPN trying to connect with the lzo errors, and anytime it *thought* it had a connection it would interfere with my session; once I killed OpenVPN, it went back to operating normally except for Config->About still not coming up)
    (edit3: ok, it is still weird. logged out and back in, now the dashboard won't even load... I'm kinda screwed with this one now, can't reboot it because UI won't work, and I can't connect with OpenVPN, so I can't SSH in or get to it from the VMware console)
    (last update: it occurred to me that I could change my client .ovpn file to "compress"... now I got a good OpenVPN connection. still can't get into the Untangle UI though. also now I see that the VMware server rebooted 4.6 days ago; I have no idea why, but it wasn't Untangle that rebooted itself during the upgrade. anyhow, the kernel on this one is 3.16.0-4-untangle-686-pae. don't know how to find the UID from the terminal, but I'm done for the night, have to get up early tomorrow)
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 12-07-2018 at 11:52 PM.

UID from terminal is this: cat /usr/share/untangle/conf/uid

14.1 doesn't cause a reboot. 14.0.0 did, though you may have gone straight to 14.0.1, but that minor update didn't do the reboot, the OS swap of going to 14 did.

My NFR finally got the 14.1 update, and I just did a quick comparison of the UI and server.conf and I see no changes. So it would appear the update worked correctly on my NFR. Great, so it's going to be ONE OF THOSE bugs, not all units are experiencing it.

I've only got two more running 14.0.1, but they have heavy OpenVPN work loads and the execs of that client are on vacation in Mexico and reliant on the VPNs to keep things running. So I'll not be touching those upgrade buttons yet. But I will be doing so this week.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-08-2018 at 08:00 AM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

My work untangle also updated without changing the comp-lzo so yeah it doesn't huppen to all instalations.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bluechris View Post
    My work untangle also updated without changing the comp-lzo so yeah it doesn't huppen to all instalations.
    for me so far it's been 2 affected out of about 6 that have upgraded; I still have about 5 more running 14.0.1 either because they haven't gotten the upgrade yet or because I've blocked the upgrade because of these problems. Now that I know the easy fix, I'll probably push the button on those others today. There are a couple of other threads in this section where OpenVPN quit after the upgrade and not knowing why it broke they removed and re-installed; so we can't know whether comp-lzo/compress was the issue, but it surely was.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 12-09-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Untangle Ninja

ok, I've upgraded every one to 14.1 (except the one stupid Linksys). I have 3 out of 11 that changed from comp-lzo to compress.

Two are running on VMware, one is on a Supermicro X7SPA. The Supermicro one has mysteriously switched to Kernel 4.9, even though there is no possibility that anyone told it to do that (as said above, it's headless, I haven't touched it in over a year, no one there could possibly have done it). There is no commonality I can see vs the ones that changed to the ones that didn't... I have 2 others running in VMware, 4 others running on Supermicro X7SPA boards, and 2 running on other hardware (and the one Linksys for a total of 12).

(pm'd all 3 UID's to dmorris)
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 12-09-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Assuming my two units suffered the same fate with this compression change, one of them is on the 3.x kernel, and the other was on the 4.x. So I don't think the kernel version has anything to do with it. Both are AMD64 architectures too.

Updated half of a VRRP pair that represents my last two 14.0.1 installs I have direct control over, no issues thus far.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 12-09-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast