Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

yes, that would definitely be better. well, I think you need the client config to say "compress" to setup for compression, but then the server side can push lzo or lz4 or not as desired

Yes, that... not sure why we're still putting compression options in the client configuration by default now. Perhaps they found a client that doesn't like it in testing?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yes, that... not sure why we're still putting compression options in the client configuration by default now. Perhaps they found a client that doesn't like it in testing?
    Correct. Unfortunately the current official openvpn client on android doesn't work with "compress" at all, contrary to what the docs seem to suggest that it will just push the correct compression settings later.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Hi

I have a Windows OpenVPN client that was distributed and installed over a year ago (not sure what version of Untangle) that continues to connect fine.

I created a new Windows OpenVPN client on the same Untangle server which is now running 14.2 but it fails connecting with the error shown in the attachment.
    OpenVPN.png

Do I have uninstall OpenVPN, reinstall OpenVPN and then generate and distribute new OpenVPN clients?
    Last edited by westgj; 08-01-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Yes, you are in the right thread.

I jumped to a Windows 8 box with the old client to do what I needed to do, including remoting into Untangle to do the steps you mentioned. Initially a bit of a panic, then recognizing it was just a little pain for me, as I only have a few clients that are used at each site. It was a good opportunity to review and remove old, unused clients.

have fun!

but this is the small price to pay for a platform that stays updated, therefore more secure. Thanks, Untangle!
    If you think I got Grumpy

Yes, the encryption level of older installs of OpenVPN is insufficient and new OpenVPN clients require an increased encryption level.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thanks, appreciate your answer.

JCV

Hello all,
    I have an old Untangle installation and this is a big problem to me. I need your help to implement a transition solution. My idea is to setup a second Untangle box, create new users on that new box, and progressively transfer all the users to the new box but I have one problem: two gateways on my ethernet. How can I route the OpenVPN clients of the new installation in order to make the old gateway accessible to them, and this way, allow them to access my network machines.
    Thanks for your help.
    Jose

Untangle Ninja

@JCV:
    I posted my idea on how to do this in another thread here, going on the idea of moving the old clients to a temporary install then migrating them back to the "real" untangle now with a new SHA certificate. you'll only have one gateway on the network, the other untangle is only for OpenVPN (see comment at the end about a static route if you're not doing NAT):
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I have thought up a good way to migrate from MD5 to SHA without disrupting existing MD5 connections, but deploy new SHA connections as needed, assuming you have a spare IP address and a VM environment which can talk to the WAN connection (though you could do it with a 2nd physical box as well):

1. backup existing untangle config
    2. install untangle in a VM and configure it to a different LAN address than the original untangle
    3. restore config to get existing MD5-based OpenVPN config into VM (choose the "keep current network settings" option); delete most of the rest of the settings (this VM is only for MD5 OpenVPN; everything else will be handled by the original box)
    4. uninstall OpenVPN from original untangle and configure it to a different public IP and make any other needed config changes
    5. configure the original public IP onto the VM untangle; test existing OpenVPN connections
    6. now re-install OpenVPN on the original untangle which will now have a new SHA certificate; begin configuring new VPN connections
    7. migrate clients as convenient until none are left connecting to the VM untangle
    8. delete the VM

this will work as described if "NAT OpenVPN connections" is enabled; if not, the existing Untangle (which is the default route for the LAN devices) will need a static route to VM untangle for the OpenVPN IP range used by the old MD5 connections.
    p.s. I've now done this, worked great.
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 08-13-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast