Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default RDP not working over vpn connection only on IOS

So I just rebuilt OpenVPN (removed and reinstalled the app) this morning due to compatibility issues with the VPN not working on the latest openvpn IOS app. I read the stickies and it said to do this to resolve the issue and it did work.

On my laptop everything seems to be working great. DNS is passed through I can vpn in from a windows laptop and use MS RDP to connect all the machines I need to.

On my iphone IOS 12.1.2 I can connect to openvpn I can ping ip addresses and host names but connecting to any computers from ms rdp fails.

Untangle is on version 14.1.1.20190116T123153.589f15d47c-1stretch and its in router mode

I have pfsense at home with openvpn and rdp over vpn works just fine so it doesnt seem to be an issue with the apps themselves.

Any ideas on where to begin looking? Thanks!

RDP is blocked by default on Windows firewall from IPs outside the netmask. VPN will have a different IP range than the LAN. Check to see if Windows firewall is on the PCs. If so, make an exception on the Windows firewall for the VPN IPs (listed in /admin/index.do#service/openvpn/server).
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

How old is your installation? Because working on the Windows laptop and not on the iOS device means something is up with the iOS device. There are some certificate issues impacting some users if they have OpenVPN installs on Untangle that are more than three years old. If your install is recent, these issues and the stickies attached to them do not necessarily apply to you.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

The 18.09 version of Windows 10 did introduce an odd issue with RDP over UDP over my OPENVPN installs. I used the group policy setting to change RDP to use TCP and it fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    RDP is blocked by default on Windows firewall from IPs outside the netmask. VPN will have a different IP range than the LAN. Check to see if Windows firewall is on the PCs. If so, make an exception on the Windows firewall for the VPN IPs (listed in /admin/index.do#service/openvpn/server).
    If that was the issue I should be having issues connection from a laptop over VPN as well. I will try tuning the firewall off temporarily to see if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    How old is your installation? Because working on the Windows laptop and not on the iOS device means something is up with the iOS device. There are some certificate issues impacting some users if they have OpenVPN installs on Untangle that are more than three years old. If your install is recent, these issues and the stickies attached to them do not necessarily apply to you.
    The installation predates me so I cant tell how old it is. I reinstalled openvpn due to the IOS app refusing to connect due to the certificate being weak. Now it connects but RDP doesnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    The 18.09 version of Windows 10 did introduce an odd issue with RDP over UDP over my OPENVPN installs. I used the group policy setting to change RDP to use TCP and it fixed it.
    We are still running Windows 10 18.03 even tried a windows 7 pc with the same results.

Sane people are still very much on 1803, 1809 has issues... and even if it didn't it'll probably be another month or two before OpenVPN updates to support it properly.

If you're replaced the OpenVPN module, and eliminated that certificate error, things should be working. Again, if a laptop works, but the iOS device doesn't, you're dealing with an iOS deficiency. I'm not sure where to direct you at this point personally, because I don't use mobile VPN clients. I don't honestly see the point... RDP from my phone is next to impossible to see what I'm doing, so I always hotspot my laptop and go from there.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Sane people are still very much on 1803, 1809 has issues... and even if it didn't it'll probably be another month or two before OpenVPN updates to support it properly.

If you're replaced the OpenVPN module, and eliminated that certificate error, things should be working. Again, if a laptop works, but the iOS device doesn't, you're dealing with an iOS deficiency. I'm not sure where to direct you at this point personally, because I don't use mobile VPN clients. I don't honestly see the point... RDP from my phone is next to impossible to see what I'm doing, so I always hotspot my laptop and go from there.
    Thanks for your help. I agree its far from an ideal solution but its our hacky solution to not shelling out $10k for an (admittedly Shoddy) mobile app from our software vendor for something we only use for 3 months out of the year. I'm avoiding making the application internet facing at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
    Thanks for your help. I agree its far from an ideal solution but its our hacky solution to not shelling out $10k for an (admittedly Shoddy) mobile app from our software vendor for something we only use for 3 months out of the year. I'm avoiding making the application internet facing at all costs.
    Now that sounds familiar! Hopefully someone with more experience with the iOS OpenVPN client can chime in here, I think you've got all the hard stuff done. At this point it's figuring out why that iOS client isn't communicating.

And to be clear, you have a working OpenVPN client on a windows laptop that connects AND RDP runs over the top?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

Hopefully someone with more experience with the iOS OpenVPN client can chime in here,
    I wish I could chime in. My iOS OpenVPN experience is a couple of years old, and we used the OpenVPN client (OpenVPN Connect) exclusively for VDI on iPads. That worked without issue.

I'm sorry if I missed this, but what do we know about the expectations of the MS RDP client? For example, one MS RDP app reviewer strongly objects to the app being limited to operation on the same subnet. Another says the Chrome Remote Desktop app works where the MS app doesn't. (Most seem to have no connection problems with the MS app.) So I'm curious about the MS app's actual expectations.
    Last edited by Sam Graf; 01-22-2019 at 01:11 PM.

And to be clear, you have a working OpenVPN client on a windows laptop that connects AND RDP runs over the top?
    Yessir!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast