Default S2S OpenVPN - auto-reconnect attempt after disconnect?

When an Untangle firewall is rebooted, will site-to-site OpenVPN clients eventually automatically reconnect to it?

I had to bring my home Untangle firewall host down for updates. When I powered it back up, the remote site (which had remained powered on) did not reconnect. I had to go to Untangle.com, remote into the s2s client, and toggle OpenVPN on the other end in order for the connection to be reestablished.

I would say that I waited about 5-10 minutes. Would it have ever reconnected automatically?

Yes, it reconnects automatically.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

It's supposed to reconnect automatically, but I've had cases where it just didn't for some reason for both remote Untangle appliances as well as service enabled Windows endpoints.

I'm pretty sure the remote Untangles will force a reconnect attempt when something tries to get over the tunnel from their side, but honestly if you want those back up ASAP, either remotely administrating or using the Command Center to connect to the remote Untangle servers and rebooting the OpenVPN app is best.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

I just had occasion to test it again. My Untangle s2s server had been running for about 2-3 hours after a reboot, and the remote client still hadn't reconnected. I logged into the remote client Untangle via the command center, restarted OpenVPN, and it reconnected.

Not a big deal since this is just for home/hobby use, but if this isn't expected behavior and there is any information I can provide in case it represents a potential bug, please let me know.

I have some Ubiquiti AP's on the other end that would have been attempting to reconnect over the tunnel to the Unifi controller, and that didn't trigger the remote client to reconnect after the Untangle s2s server had come back up. Had to toggle OpenVPN on the client Untangle off/back on as you said. Seems like if I bring the s2s Untangle server down, I need to manually reconnect the client.

Yeah, that's not normal. I've had Unifi WAPs on the far side of OpenVPN for years, and they were pretty good at picking on the client side device to reestablish. Sadly, I lost that customer to Meraki so, no more data from there.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Some more information:
    My ISP has been having some issues in my area recently (where the OpenVPN S2S server is located). I can see from the Untangle Command Center that my connection has dropped with my ISP dozens of times today. Each time my ISP has come back, the remote OpenVPN S2S client has reconnected to the server automatically.

So, it seems that the remote S2S client only fails to automatically reconnect after the S2S server is rebooted.

Untangler

As I too see weird issues occasionally this question is poignant here: Is there a way to troubleshoot openvpn or see what is failing so as to better track (thinking debug or other type log here)?