Untangler

Default OpenVPN Site-to-Site - Static WAN IP Question

Hi there -

Quick question -

I am setting up an OpenVPN site-to-site between 3 Untangle boxes. One will be at a business where there is a static IP - that is the unit that will be hosting the OpenVPN "server". The other two Untangle boxes will be at users' homes where they do not have a static WAN IP address. (I would just use the OpenVPN client on the endpoints, but the client needs an IP phone and other devices to be connected as well.). My question:

Do I only need a static at the "host/server" Untangle box, or do I need to have a static WAN IP at all locations? I'm pretty sure that I only need the one at the server location, but I wanted to be 100% sure before I made any recommendation to my customer.
    Last edited by BarryDingle; 10-23-2019 at 03:11 PM.

You don't even need a static address at the "server" location, you just need a DNS name, and an agent that can keep that DNS name updated.

But yes, it's simpler if you have a static address at the server end of the tunnel. But still, please... configure it to use a DNS hostname! Make the darned A record in a public DNS record somewhere. Because in the future when your ISP changes your head office address, it makes things so much easier to just update that record and watch the tunnels come back up in a few hours.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Thanks for the info. That is definitely a good idea... Many times I do not have access to the client's external DNS. Most of my deployments are quite small, so an IP change isn't a show stopper. That said, I'll probably start doing that where possible. Thanks again for the speedy response!