Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

You're using the official OpenVPN linux client on the Mint station I presume?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Mint includes OpenVPN in its standard distribution. I haven't heard anything that suggests they do any customization of that package at all, except for putting some control features into their GUI network manager; the thread I opened there on this topic did not trigger any talk about customization.

Untangler

Okay - just to close this one off temporarily. I am trying again on the Linux Mint forums, to see if there's any advice there. I had previously installed an OpenVPN 2.4.3 on a Windows machine; using the .ovpn file generated by Untangle I was able to connect to the host without issue, and was able to browse all the machines in that network by name, so DNS propagated as expected. Looking for the same version of OpenVPN as is used on the Mint machine, I found only 2.4.8 on the OpenVPN site, and installed that, and again the Untangle .ovpn file worked as expected and allowed me to use the host network DNS. So as suggested, the problem seems to be local to Mint's OpenVPN 2.4.4 implementation. If I do get resolution on this, I'll post back here.

I'm using OpenVPN 2.4.0-6+deb9u2 on Debian and it works correctly.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Mint is a Debian derivative, so I'm going to have to guess there's something odd about how Mint has configured their default version. Which leaves me a little worried... if I remove that one, and install one from a straight Debian repository, it should work for me, but will something break in Mint that's expecting the different configuration? In a perfect world, the only thing it would break is integration with their GUI network management tool... but this is by no means a perfect world.

Untangler

Okay, so here's a large part of the answer, from user Pippin in the Mint forums.

Apparently, update-resolv-conf isn't working since Ubuntu 18.04, something to do with a change to netplan.

From what I read, following should solve it
    Code:
    sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jonathanio/update-systemd-resolved/master/update-systemd-resolved -P /etc/openvpn/
    sudo chmod +x /etc/openvpn/update-systemd-resolved
    In the client config file we then add
    Code:
    setenv PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
    script-security 2
    up /etc/openvpn/update-systemd-resolved
    up-restart
    down /etc/openvpn/update-systemd-resolved
    down-pre
    (in mine, that's at the bottom of the file, below everything else); and also add
    Code:
    dhcp-option DOMAIN-ROUTE .
    Note the dot at the end. And that, in my case, sits a little higher in the config file, though I don't think it's critical where it goes.

I'm still getting the DNS push error, but with this in place I can ping machines in the host network by name; I can't yet use nemo to open network shares on the host network, but that may be unrelated. I'll post more when I get more; but it will be a while, I'm working on a different set of tasks for the next couple of days.
    Last edited by chazz; 11-21-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typo

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123