Untangler

Default OpenVPN on an iPhone?

Hi,

Has anyone set up an OpenVPN app from an iPhone to Untangle? What are the steps to do that? In the OpenVPN setup it wants a username/pw and the URL of Untangle. The last item I know. Not the first two.

Thanks!

--Ben

Master Untangler

Via Untangle GUI OpenVPN app, download the client ... the one the specifically mentions Apple. Unzip the contents in a folder somewhere - just remember where

Install the OpenVPN app on your iPhone.

Plug in your iPhone on a computer with iTunes and open iTunes.

Select your phone, and then go to File Sharing.

Select the OpenVPN app.

Drag and drop the files that you unzipped. Just the files, not the directory structure.

Unplug your iPhone from your computer.

Open your OpenVPN app on your iPhone. Now this is where you are on your own. The GUI has changed some when I did it. Upon startup in may just automatically see your files and auto install your profile. Or, you may need to add a profile and select that you are doing it by file - from there is should see the files you dropped prior via iTunes.

Hopefully that gets you far enough that you can figure out the rest.
    mtarbox and Jim.Alles like this.
    Untangle 16.0.1 (Build: 20201011T124207) (Kernel: 4.19.0-8-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untangler

Oh! Of course. Doh. forgot I could pull files across from my workstation. Obviously I don't use that feature much.

Thank you so much!

--Ben
    Jim.Alles and theoak like this.

Is there any other easy configuration available?

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucyhales View Post
    Is there any other easy configuration available?
    Hi, and welcome to the Untangle community.

I see in the official OpenVPN Connect app, on the Import Profile > File tab, that you can open an email attachment in the Mail app. As the comment there says, this is a less secure method of installing the profile.

I was hoping to see something easy and available through Files, but I didn't find what I'd hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Graf View Post
    Hi, and welcome to the Untangle community.

I see in the official OpenVPN Connect app, on the Import Profile > File tab, that you can open an email attachment in the Mail app. As the comment there says, this is a less secure method of installing the profile.

I was hoping to see something easy and available through Files, but I didn't find what I'd hoped for.
    Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    Via Untangle GUI OpenVPN app, download the client ... the one the specifically mentions Apple. Unzip the contents in a folder somewhere - just remember where

Install the OpenVPN app on your iPhone.

Plug in your iPhone on a computer with iTunes and open iTunes.

Select your phone, and then go to File Sharing.

Select the OpenVPN app.

Drag and drop the files that you unzipped. Just the files, not the directory structure.

Unplug your iPhone from your computer.

Open your OpenVPN app on your iPhone. Now this is where you are on your own. The GUI has changed some when I did it. Upon startup in may just automatically see your files and auto install your profile. Or, you may need to add a profile and select that you are doing it by file - from there is should see the files you dropped prior via iTunes.

Hopefully that gets you far enough that you can figure out the rest.
    These are the easiest steps that you have provided I tried that earlier and these steps dont have any complexities who have less technical knowledge.

Master Untangler

If it's your iPhone, just use it to browse into your Untangle Dashboard, download the ovpn directly from Apps>OpenVPN>Server tab.

I had previously installed the official OpenVPN iOS app and it readily recognized the downloaded ovpn file and I was able to connect immediately.

Done in 3 minutes without picking up a single cable.

Or did I miss anything?

Hey, Ben - there's also a Support article on this in our KB: https://support.untangle.com/hc/en-u...-using-iTunes-
    hpaunet likes this.