Default Can OpenVPN come by itself?

I have a client that only needs a VPN service. Is it possible to put Untangle in bridge mood and ONLY have OpenVPN? I don't want to pay for the full NG Firewall complete, I only want the VPN client.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jdrewes2001; 03-22-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Hi, and welcome to the Untangle community.

You can install and use the free product, including free apps, without limitation. You can install Untangle in a bridge-type mode.

Yes you can, but it's a bit more work that way. Does the router in place do anything special? Because it really is much easier to deploy a VPN terminator at the edge of the network.

If you insist on making it a bridge, just make sure to follow the instructions in the wiki to the letter.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Openvpn is a free app! Used it for many years that way. Untangle should be promoting that to get a foot in the door in these times.

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    Openvpn is a free app! Used it for many years that way. Untangle should be promoting that to get a foot in the door in these times.
    Not really their job... that's the job of us partners... But for my part nothing has changed in my message on Untangle. I've been pushing it for a decade largely because of the OpenVPN module. Why? Because being able to work from home is an essential element of disaster planning. Now, I have a disaster to point at. My clients are all fine... every one of them in full operation. And, as they're mostly construction companies considered "Essential", but still with office staffs working from home.

The only part about this circumstance I don't like? The I told you so bit is really hollow, especially since I'm a high risk person myself.
    Jim.Alles likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Openvpn was what sold me on untangle at the time i started. Now that I am retired I still manage the untangle at the old office. It has only the free version still. You are going about it the right way. Untangle seems to be missing the boat. They need to sell it hard too. And give you a better chance because you are the local rep. You provide something they can't. Many people want that. Stubborn old fats like me are hopeless.

I know taking advantage of a bad situation is not a good situation but the big boys are. So get going.

You are going about it the right way. Untangle seems to be missing the boat.
    Right smack dab on Untangle's home page.

https://www.untangle.com/inside-unta...mbat-covid-19/

Missing the boat? Untangle knows full well that VPN is just the very beginning of a business solution to the current crisis. I commend them for not behaving like money-grubbing "big boys."
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untangle Ninja

Read the first post. He was not sure if he could just use ovpn. That means marketing has failed.

Many questions need to be asked. Where did he learn about it, how and why. And if he went to the web site why was it necessary to ask here? So many more?

My guess would be word of mouth (or some modern version of such) from a current user.
    Last edited by donhwyo; 03-22-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Read the first post.
    I obviously did read the first post.

If you think this thread proves Untangle is missing the boat and has failed marketing, missed opportunities, etc., that's fine.
    donhwyo likes this.