Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sheck View Post
    I'm going to be the other side of this argument, because after testing with OpenVPN's beta, that app is so much nicer than ours was.... and it doesn't look like its from Windows 95.
    Which beta do you mean, the community 2.5 tech preview, or the OpenVPN Connect v3 beta? I always understood that the OpenVPN Connect client was for a different VPN server/service.
    So I'm just not clear on which OpenVPN client we are supposed to be using.. or do both work?

Untangle Ninja

While on the subject of modifications to the OpenVPN config download dialog, how about fixing the naming convention for the .ovpn file? With the old .exe installer, the generated .ovpn profile included in the installer was named with the site name, which is what you expect particularly when installing multiple .ovpn files in one system; when I right-click my OpenVPN icon, I have connections properly named for each site I connect to.
    With the all-in-one .OVPN file, which is now the only choice, the file is named "openvpn-clientname-inline.ovpn". I tend to name my own connection at each site the same, so if I were to just import connections from every site, I'd have 15 instances of "openvpn-johnsonx42-inline" in my OpenVPN menu. Why do I need "openvpn" and "inline" in the file name and on the menu?

I'd prefer they were just named for the Site Name like the old bundled files, but I can see the merits of including the Client Name as well... so how about "Sitename-Clientname.ovpn"?
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 06-10-2020 at 10:08 AM.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    Which beta do you mean, the community 2.5 tech preview, or the OpenVPN Connect v3 beta? I always understood that the OpenVPN Connect client was for a different VPN server/service.
    So I'm just not clear on which OpenVPN client we are supposed to be using.. or do both work?
    https://openvpn.net/client-connect-vpn-for-windows/

The v3 beta is what we've got setup on our internal test boxes for VPN's. Just import your .ovpn like normal.
    Shawn Heck
    Untangle Support

So we can use both... OK.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

yeah, I tried it today, seems to work fine. seems needlessly flashy for a VPN client, but maybe it's a bit prettier for end user types.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    yeah, I tried it today, seems to work fine. seems needlessly flashy for a VPN client, but maybe it's a bit prettier for end user types.
    actually let me amend that... importing an .ovpn file into the v3 client worked fine, and it appeared to connect fine with no errors in the log (the mouse-wheel works BACKWARDS in the log window, very annoying). However after connection, no meaningful protocol traffic would pass (Pings & port scans worked, but no DNS, http, rdp, etc.); the exact same .ovpn file still works perfectly with the 2.4.7 client. This wasn't a newly minted .ovpn file, I imported it from my 2.4.7 client's config dir, but it's not some old one, it was created with 14.x as the site only recently switched to Untangle.

So I assume the v3 client works with current .ovpn files from Untangle 15.1 since that's what Untangle is testing, but it's not completely interchangeable with the 2.4.x client.

Luckily the two seem to co-exist quite happily.

Does your OVPN contain the compress directive?

I wouldn't be surprised if the new client doesn't allow for compression at all.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Does your OVPN contain the compress directive?

I wouldn't be surprised if the new client doesn't allow for compression at all.
    yes. the log indicated it recognized the compress directive and didn't complain about it. however perhaps the compression type pushed from the server was being ignored (again though, I could detect no complaint anywhere in the log).
    I know ping working but higher protocols failing does tend to indicate some sort of compression mismatch; that's the sort of problem I had back when the upgrade stomped on the OpenVPN settings and changed the compression type even though Untangle insisted the upgrade would never ever do that (I think I had 3 systems where that happened, and I believe it was repeated on the next upgrade, again despite Untangle insisting such a thing couldn't happen).
    The logging is simultaneously verbose and minimal - the initial connection generates pages and pages of information, but after that when it's not working it doesn't report any compression or framing errors like 2.4 did so at the moment I'm left to guess what it is the v3 client isn't liking.
    I haven't pursued this at all beyond trying that one "inline" .ovpn file I happened to have handy (it didn't like importing a .ovpn with separate certificates).
    I mostly just wanted to inform anyone reading this thread that the v3 client isn't just a drop-in replacement for the v2.4 client.

Yeah, just curious because that specific element needs tested. Your data point has value there.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

As expected, the issue was indeed compression. I enabled compression support in the client, and now the connection works fine.

It would've been nice if somewhere, anywhere, the client had said "hey, the server pushed compression, and you have compression disabled". Even if it was buried deep in the log... instead, dead silence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast