Untanglit

Default Extremely slow OpenVPN speeds

Able to connect remotely via openvpn from mac laptop.

I've used tunnelblick and also Viscosity at the client both with same result.

Traffic is extremely slow, spiking up to either 500 or 950kbps then down to zero again.

100Mbps up/down from untangle site and 10/100Mbps at client

The longer break in the image is a reconnect - it normally just keeps spiking up to still very slow speed then back off again.

Image 9-5-20 at 8.34 PM.jpg

Untangler

@pprior,

Did you turn off Compression? Instead of LZO or LZO adaptive, turn to off in your VPN app.

See: https://forums.untangle.com/openvpn/...0200826-a.html

Cheers

Untanglit

I did turn this off (and seems that should be the default given security risks of LZO compression). No change.

From my client I can upload around 7MB/s but downloads only 250 KB/s for some reason.

Librespeed docker installed on the server shows 3Mbps download and 29Mbps uploads

WAN test at the server site gives 200/200 up/down.

Would really appreciate someone from Untangle support trying to help. My other TunnelVPN question also went unanswered.

Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post
    Would really appreciate someone from Untangle support trying to help. My other TunnelVPN question also went unanswered.
    The way to do that is to open a support ticket.
    Push the green help button at the bottom of this screen, enter a topic, then hit [Contact Us]

Untangler

I did turn this off (and seems that should be the default given security risks of LZO compression). No change.

From my client I can upload around 7MB/s but downloads only 250 KB/s for some reason.

Librespeed docker installed on the server shows 3Mbps download and 29Mbps uploads

WAN test at the server site gives 200/200 up/down.

What are the specs on the device that runs NGFW? Could your hardware be the bottleneck? Just an idea if your hardware is limited. Another area that can affect speeds are QOS settings.
    Last edited by junglechuck; 09-11-2020 at 08:52 AM.

Untanglit

Its running on an untangle brand z4 box. memory use is at 71% and CPU load is almost none.

I tried going into QOS settings and putting openVPN to high. I also tried setting bandwidth control on, neither have improved performance.

Untangler

Its running on an untangle brand z4 box. memory use is at 71% and CPU load is almost none.

I tried going into QOS settings and putting openVPN to high. I also tried setting bandwidth control on, neither have improved performance.
    pprior,
    z4 box should handle that-especially at those values. Other issues I've had with OVPN are mtu/mssfix, but that goes back to slow PPPOE connections. Only other issue I'm aware of for troubleshooting is the issue of bypassing traffic in the NGFW if you are on a PPPOE connection, but you obviously don't have PPPOE with 200up/down! Sorry that's all I've got.