Default Network traffic very slow after connecting through OpenVPN

Hi there hope your all going well,

Recently deployed a mini Intel PC running Untangle and setup OpenVPN on it for connecting into a network securely. While it works I noticed the speed of the network is extremely slow going at about 2mbps.

The network is much faster than this so not sure what the issue could be. I tried reducing the cipher down to 128 with no improvement.

Is there anything I can do to tune the performance of OpenVPN so it's a bit more usable???

Would appreciate any advice about this

Thanks
    - Alessio
    Last edited by Alessio; 03-26-2021 at 02:42 AM.

Master Untangler

Independently, your remote device and Untangle may have good bandwidth to the Internet, but they may not have good peering between them, especially if they're on different/competing ISPs. That would drastically affect your VPN performance.

I did OpenVPN between my mobile phone and Untangle and did some speed tests. Despite our sub-par LTE bandwidth, my tests yields anywhere between 11 to 28mbps downstream and 3 to 5 mbps upstream (from the phone's perspective). These figures aren't too far off from the raw speed test I did from the phone without the VPN. When this speed test is performed, I'm bouncing off Untangle to get to the server (speedtest.net) so this is not a raw measurement of the VPN bandwidth.

Phone(LTE)<[ISP1]------VPN-------[ISP2]>Untanlge(100mbps FTTH)
    Last edited by oj88; 03-26-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks for responding, the mobile data and main network are different ISP's so in this case is there anything that can be done to improve peering?

Regards
    Alessio

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
    Thanks for responding, the mobile data and main network are different ISP's so in this case is there anything that can be done to improve peering?

Regards
    Alessio
    Generally, you're at the mercy of your respective ISPs.

BUT... If your Untangle is connected to an ISP that has a business or corporate plan, you may have access to certain perks. For example, you can try working with your ISP's customer support to provide you a more optimal route to/from the mobile ISP's network. Though, YMMV.

Untangle Ninja

Use trace route or better yet mtr to see where the problem is.

https://untanglengfirewall.featureup...erout-with-mtr