Default Static Public IP for Verizon FIOS so OpenVPN connectivity doesn't occasionally break

Hi,

I set up Untangle on Protectli hardware about a year ago and it's been working wonderfully. Verizon FIOS is my provider and I do not use their router. Untangle is the router, no bridge.

I introduced OpenVPN for family use back then as well and have had a few hiccups simply due to Verizon FIOS changing my Public IP address a couple of times. When that's happened, I've had to update my DNS record to point to the new IP so I don't have to mess with any of my family's devices. All of their phones are set to automatically switch to VPN as soon as they leave our home's wifi and they haven't been so pleased when the Public IP changes, which completely wrecks their internet connectivity until I fix it.

So my question is this - is there a way I can make my Public IP Address static so it won't change and break OpenVPN connectivity? If trying to get/set a static public IP isn't the best solution, not a problem. The goal is simply to keep OpenVPN connectivity working even if my public IP were to change.

It took me a while to get all this straight because I don't really know what I'm doing - especially when I added a VLAN for my IOT devices but some great folks here at these forums helped me through that.

I did try to find a straight forward answer to this question before posting here.

Thank you!
    Last edited by dfyoung; 04-15-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Untangler

Dynamic dns is an option of untangle. Pick a service and set it up.
    yourip/admin/index.do#config/network/hostname

Thanks for your reply, @donhwyo, and apologies for the delayed response. I thought I had these forums set to notify me when I received a reply.

My domain is registered with GoDaddy. I don't see it on the list and I also use Microsoft Authenticator for MFA. Does that mean I'm stuck? I'm also confused how giving Untangle access like that resolves FIOS changing my Public IP.

Thanks again for the help.

VerizonFIOS doesn't sell Static IP's to residential accounts...so if you want a static IP from FIOS you'll need a business account..

Here is how you use a Dynamic public IP from Verizon with your Untangle... I have an Untangle test box at home that is directly plugged into my FIOS ONT (no verizon router) with a Dynamic IP..

1) Go to dyndns.org and setup an account and pick a hostname.
    2) Now log into Untangle and go to Config>Hostname and check Dynamic DNS Service Configuration...
    3) Enter the credentials and hostname you just created at DynDNS.org, select "Use Hostname" (I use my FQDN in the Hostname and Domain name at the top created within my GoDaddy Account (more on that later).
    4) Now within Godaddy... Ive created a subdomain with CNAME of the domain I want to use example: gateway.mydomain.com... When creating the subdomain with CNAME, enter the DynDNS.org hostname you created earlier as the CNAME.

You can go to a site like dnsqueries.com to check your FQDN is properly resolving to your FIOS Dynamic WAN IP after you setup everything up as outlined above.

Now, that Godaddy FQDN will always resolve to your VerizonFIOS WAN Dynamic IP... Untangle will always check your FIOS WAN connection for IP changes, update that IP to your DynDNS.org hostname and your GoDaddy subdomain always resolves to that hostname which in turn always resolves to your current IP. Works great...

Now you can just skip the whole Godaddy FQDN and just straight use the DynDNS hostname....I was answering your specific question about using your Godaddy FQDN... I do it that way because it's easier to remember than the DynDNS name...

Been running this setup problem free for over a year at home utilizing OpenVPN, Wireguard, FreePBX, remote softphones and desk phones, etc.
    Last edited by defcomllc; 04-25-2021 at 06:47 AM.
    donhwyo and dfyoung like this.

Thank you very much, @defcomllc! Your steps are clear and detailed. Now I need to look into the cost of FIOS Business.

Thanks again

No problem... here in PA 1Gb Fios Business is $150 more per month ($250.00) and that comes with 1 Static (add $20 per month more for 5 static) vs $99.99 for the same 1Gb FIOS residential with no static