Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Changing WAN address and OpenVPN

I am new to Untangle. My work is changing our ISP. This weekend I will be changing our WAN address. We use OpenVPN. All the VPN addresses are private addresses. If I change the WAN address on the Untangle do I need to make any changes to the VPN configuration?

You wont need to make any changes in OpenVPN itself, Untangle will take care of that with the updated IP.

You will however need to redeploy your clients to users to get the updated configuration with the new WAN IP.
    Obaid Omer likes this.

If you did your diligence and configured config -> network -> hostname to not use the public IP address, change your WAN IP and go update the DNS record you chose and you're done.

If you didn't do you diligence, this IP change is a great time to do so because your alternative is redistributing every single OpenVPN client because those scripts are hard configured with the old address and need updated.
    Obaid Omer likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

For locations without a staic IP, I use Dynamic DNS Service Configuration
    in Config -> Network -> Hostname so the hostname in the OpenVPN config is updated when the ISP changes the IP. This enables the config files on the remote PC to still connect.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 10-15-2021 at 08:09 AM.
    Obaid Omer likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

@Sky-Knight
    Thanks. I am looking at the DNS settings in teh Untangle and the VPN is set to private addresses and none of tehse are being changed. Which DNS entry are you speaking of?

Config -> Network -> Hostname

By default it's set to IP, you need to set it to the configured hostname, or set it to manual and specify a hostname. Whatever you do there will change the remote lines in the OpenVPN configurations you send to your remote users.

You want them all using a name, because once you have a name if your address changes you just update the name and all the clients will get the new numbers thanks to that update. Which removes the mad panic redistribution of clients from the table.
    Obaid Omer likes this.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Config -> Network -> Hostname

By default it's set to IP, you need to set it to the configured hostname, or set it to manual and specify a hostname. Whatever you do there will change the remote lines in the OpenVPN configurations you send to your remote users.

You want them all using a name, because once you have a name if your address changes you just update the name and all the clients will get the new numbers thanks to that update. Which removes the mad panic redistribution of clients from the table.
    Thanks. The DNS is set to the hostname and the settings are on dynamic DNS so I think I'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    For locations without a staic IP, I use Dynamic DNS Service Configuration
    in Config -> Network -> Hostname so the hostname in the OpenVPN config is updated when the ISP changes the IP. This enables the config files on the remote PC to still connect.
    With our current ISP the addressing is dynamic. The new ISP has given us a static address. Currently we are set to dynamic DNS and for the addressing we are set to Manually set IP address. The IP/Hostmname is set to the hostname. Should I change this ocnfiguration or would I be okay to just changethe WAN address and leave these settings as they currently are.

With the IP change, you'll have to redistribute all of your OpenVPN clients before they can reconnect.

If you're going to push out new clients, you're better off doing so connected to a DNS name so you don't have to do this again. But yes, you can leave it IP based and just know that the next time you change addresses... you get to do all that work again.

So ask yourself exactly how much you hate future you?
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    With the IP change, you'll have to redistribute all of your OpenVPN clients before they can reconnect.

If you're going to push out new clients, you're better off doing so connected to a DNS name so you don't have to do this again. But yes, you can leave it IP based and just know that the next time you change addresses... you get to do all that work again.

So ask yourself exactly how much you hate future you?
    The clients are connecting via the hostname right now. The radio buttin for "Use manually specified address" is clicked and in teh IP/Hostname field the hostname is entered.
    Are you saying that should chose teh radio button for "Hostname" instead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast