Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That Which Lurks Below

Quote Originally Posted by MP715 View Post
    Those rules look good except it appears rule 6 is trumping rules, 7, 8, and 9.
    I wouldn't say trumping, in this case. A rule only triggers if all its conditions are met, so rule 6 only takes precedence over rules 7 or 8 in a very specific circumstance: DNS lookups or RDP connections from OpenVPN to devices on the internal interface. If the session in question doesn't meet all four criteria, the rule is skipped.

OP: What happened when you changed the value of the Username condition from the Local Directory username to the OpenVPN username?
    Græme Ravenscroft • Technical Marketing Engineer
    ('gram', like the unit of measurement)
    he/him
    Please don't reboot your NGFW.
    How can we make Arista ETM products better?

Quote Originally Posted by gravenscroft View Post
    I wouldn't say trumping, in this case. A rule only triggers if all its conditions are met, so rule 6 only takes precedence over rules 7 or 8 in a very specific circumstance: DNS lookups or RDP connections from OpenVPN to devices on the internal interface. If the session in question doesn't meet all four criteria, the rule is skipped.

OP: What happened when you changed the value of the Username condition from the Local Directory username to the OpenVPN username?
    Yup. That was essentially the issue. I was mis-reading every post/document and kept trying to put a literal username in that box which in this case I was focused on the Local Directory usernames that I had created.

The end result was:
    1) Create a "block all" rule using Source Interface=OpenVPN, Destination Interface=Internal and keep it at the bottom.
    2) Above the "block all", I created VERY EXPLICIT allow rules per user as such:
    "Source Interface=OpenVPN, Destination Interface=Internal, Username=<name of vpn client>, Destination address=<ip address of workstation>, Destination port=3389" --> Pass, Flag

It now works flawlessly. I'd say my biggest hurdle was getting over the misconception that the "Username" condition in the firewall rules was literally a user. Also, the "Pass" conditions needed to be more explicit (ie: included the port number).
    gravenscroft likes this.

The rules are matched in order top to bottom. Rules work on first rule match, the rule matching exits.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12